Wellcome. I am, also like you, a new member of this family here.
My husband, Guy (55 years old), was receiving radioembolisation with the product Yttrium 90 microspheres (SIRT) this year in january. His situation on that time was: primary tumor of about 6 cm diameter and a secondary very small tumor - both stable - and no matastasis. This result was achieved durring the treatment with Gemcitabine/ Cisplatin. But... Is always a "but". So, but our pr. dr. was saying to us that it is the time to try SIRT because the Gem/Cis seemed to not work anymore and Guy is at this stage a good candidate for SIRT. So we did it. After SIRT, at the begining of March this year we had the MRI scanning and it showed that SIRT didn't work what so ever so he was puted on treatment with 5 - FU Leucovorin ( he had 6 times transfusions of this regimen)- wich also didn't work at all. Now, he is in a very poor state and he is in the hospital with severe anemia and also ascites and also a Cellulitis infection. His bone marrow may be also affected, cause it seems that his anemia is getting worst and worst, day by day.
But what it is more important for you from my story here is that - FOR MY HUSBAND - radioembolization didn't work at all and also caused damage of the near healty tissues, fallowed by liquage and building up fluid. Our team of proffesors were arriving, on this fryday - and they validated a report- to the conclusion that SIRT in january, combined with tumor progression after SIRT and 5-FU not working, is the cause of the poor state in wich Guy is today.
But, please, remember that this experience of ours it is just ours and for your husband may work. Anyway, a second opinion before deciding what to do i will recomand with all my heart, because i am really sorry now that i didn't asked.
With alot of hope for you,
Liliana from Belgium
PS: Please allowe me that this is also an update in my Guy's case also for everyone in our family here.
God bless you all]]>
Welcome to the site. Sorry that you had to find us all and I am sorry to hear what you and your husband are going through right now. But, I am glad that you've joined us all here as you've come to the best place for support and help and I know that you both will get tons of that from everyone here.
I know what you mean about all of this being foreign territory to you at first and in the begining, we all have went through and felt like that too. But I do know that the more that you learn about everything then the better informed you will be when it comes to making decisions and stuff. And you are not alone any more, we are all here for you and know what you are going through. So please, come back here lots. Vent away if need be, shout and scream if it helps and if you have any questions as well, then you go right ahead and ask and we'll do our best to help in answering them.
I can't add anything much to what the others have said to you already. And I so agree with what they say about seeking further opinions from those experienced in treating patients with CC. Here is a link that may be of use to you, it is of the major treatment centres in the USA -
http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/major … enters.htm
Please keep coming back and let us know how everything goes. And know that we are here for you and we care.
My best wishes to you and Scott,
1.Can you tell me what chemo agents in the 14 chemo are? Is it Gemzar and cisplatin? and how big are the tumors now.
2.Is it the Liver surgeon(not the general GI doctors in the hospital) who told your husband could not have the liver resection or the oncologist or radiologist? and why?
In general, If the sizes of the tumors are <3cm and less than 3 or 4 tumors;and if they are in reachable locations; RFA(radiofrequency ablation) first and chemoembolization performing at the same time as one procedure and hospital stay one night over will be the best option. for the large one like the tennis ball( about 8cm in size),chemoembolization with adriamycin,
cisplatin and mitomycin in suspension injected directly into the liver tumor via angiography while you are half sleep is the best choice if you want to go this route. I reserve my opinion on the suggestion use of radioembolization for your husband until they give you a satisfaction answer of why they want to use it instead of RFA and chemoembo and change of chemotherapy first..I am just afraid now every doctor wants to jump on the radioembo wagon and that may be the reason why?(see side effect and other related messages on the experience forum under the heading Radiation treatment and options on our message board.for radioembolization);
Check out the link below for further info.
http://www.sirweb.org/news/newsPDF/fact … _sheet.pdf
http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb … 367#p65367
Again I am not against radioemo,I just want patients and caregivers know that other options with similiar or better results can do the same job before trying the relatively new procedure. Radioembo will definitely has its place on the treatment of liver and CCA diseases in the future.
However, systemic chemotherapy is another choice;they can use other chemotherapy agents to treat your husband too.
I suspect your husband's tumors are located in different segments and lobes of the liver and thus radioembolization is the procedure than RFA and chemoembo combined together.
But think twice before just accepting what the doctor said esp. the other tumors are <3cm and less than 3-4 in numbers.(RFA is as effective as resection if tumor sizes is<3 cm of each tumor and not more than 3-4 or 5 total in numbers of tumors-chemoembo right after RFA add overall additional treatment enhancement) .Just make sure your husband has enough liver reserve left and the tumor burden ( all tumors combined together is not too much for the body to endure the hardship of chemoembo or radioembo.)
keep in touch and
Welcome to this site, although I am sad another young person has had to find us. My daughter, Lauren was diagnosed with Intrehepatic CC in Aug. 2011 at the age of 25. She has a large tumor on her right side and several small ones on the left. Her large tumor started out around 17 cm., the size of a canteloupe, and is now 9cm. Most of this shrinkage occured when she first started chemo and was on Gem/Cis and 5-FU. She was taken off the Cisplatin early spring and continued with the other two chemos until May, when she had radioembolization with Theraspheres on the left side in hopes of killing all the small tumors so Lauren could have a resection. We were so hopeful, but they did not work very well and Lauren developed a new 4cm. spot on the left. They still aren't sure if it is a tumor or from the embolization. Lauren is now on Oxaliplatin and Xeloda. She just had a CT scan last week and her tumors are shrinking again. I think different things work for different people. We go to University of Michigan Cancer Center for Lauren's care. Her doctor has many tricks up his sleeve in case something doesn't work. We are very happy there. Hopefully, one day she can have a resection, but she was told no way at first too. Try and stay positive and never give up hope. It is the only thing you have for sure. I wish you all the best and I would be happy to talk to you any time. You can e-mail me or check out the blog I write for Lauren listed under blogs on this site. Take care and God bless.