A little update for the record...
I had my 5th infusion of chemo (Gem/Cis) on Wednesday, 4/15/15, and by Friday I was feeling very poorly (no energy and lots of diarrhea). My extended family was gathering in NY for my father's 80th birthday party so I drove from VA to NY for the weekend and felt worse and worse all weekend.
After getting home to VA Sunday night I pretty much didn't get out of bed for 48 hours. I tried to stay hydrated but wasn't eating much at all.
Infusion #6 was scheduled yesterday, Wednesday, 4/22/15. I went in and had labs which all came back normal even though I still wasn't feeling well at all. I decided that 5 infusions was enough. Either it's helped by now or it's not going to.
My goal with chemo was two-fold; 1) "check the box" for attempting the "standard of care" so that I can join clinical trials that require that and 2) prove that I can keep the one small tumor I have in my peritoneal cavity at bay with no further metastasis so that my surgeon is willing to operate and remove it.
I've been doing the chemo locally in VA and will be heading back to the Mayo Clinic next week (week of 4/27/15) to have a chest CT and abdominal MRI to see if the chemo has prevented any further metastasis. If that's the case, I will also be meeting with my surgeon to discuss the possibility of operating to remove the tumor. It's near the head/neck of my pancreas and there is a possibility that a Whipple might be required. I sure hope not...