My mom was diagnosed with cc in last month and two surgeons at her local hospital agreed to resect. We went to MD Anderson for a second opinion and were a disappointed to find that a decision was made that resection was not an option at this time and her case was assigned to a medical oncologist rather than one of the surgical oncologists or one of the oncologists at MDA that specializes in cc. At the end of the day, my parents were not comfortable at all with the experience at MDA and we've ended up back with her local oncologist. I think I probably do believe that the decision to not resect at this time was the right one, but I too was disappointed that we didn't get to see someone who truly specializes in cc.
Any thoughts on this given your positive experience with MDA?
Dear Srs: Hard for me to comment, since I don't know who you consulted with. There are many reasons to defer or delay a resection of the liver. If you have a diagnosis of cc, I can't imagine why they would not refer you to one of the GI medical oncologists like Dr. Javle or Dr. Kaseb. The GI department at MD Anderson works as a team, so if they referred you to a medical oncologist, then the surgeons felt that was the best course for your treatment.
Again, without details it is hard to comment. Can you tell the group what course of action the medical oncologist at MD Anderson recommended for you? Many members of this group have probably been through it and can tell you their experience with the therapy prescribed for you.
I any case, you have to do what feels right for you. If you trust your local oncologist then that is worth a lot. Best of luck to you!
Violarob in Houston, Texas