My Upper GI Consultant and my surgeons both had no ideas how or why CC occurs, and think it is just the luck of the draw.
However, looking back over the years I am now wondering about several possible causes relevant to me.
1. I used to smoke until 7 years ago
2. For over 25 years I had GI problems, bloating, wind, alternation between loose stools and constipation (I am wondering whether I had something like ulcerative colitis without being diagnosed, or IBS). I never sought medical help for these.
3. I had two episodes of threadworms, once about 25 years ago, the other about 10 years ago. I treated myself with OVEX tablets.
4. Poor diet, high fat on occasions.
3. Very slim until 7 years ago when I gave up smoking, then I piled on the pounds quickly.
All, or none of the above, could be disease related. I, and my doctors, cannnot confirm or deny them.
I read so much about people who have always led a healthy lifestyle, no smoking, drinking, watching their weight, etc, and still they succomb to CC. So it may be lifestyle, or just pure bad luck. The jury is out on this.