Some of you are already familiar with my Dad, he's been stented a number of times with two plastic and one metal stent and he wants to do chemo.
We've been trying the get going on the chemo sessions but have had nothing but problems with the stent blocking and now more recently, the tumour has grown (doubled in size) and has grown through the metal stent (even though we've been told it was impenetrable).
Dad's been in hospital for over two weeks now, they've put an external drain in through the ribs, cut into the metal stent and feed it through, into the bile duct. It's a special tube that works sort of like a garden soaker hose, allowing bile to seep into the body. They just replaced it this morning with a bigger diameter hose. He's been on antibiotic ever since and has not had a fever for more than a week. Although his blood has dropped by 10 over night to 78, and is now get a blood transfusion.
Now the Dr. tells us that his kidney's levels are off and suspect something else is going on. His feet are swollen, and has not been able to urinate for the last 24hrs, although he did this morning. They put a catheter back in, but not much is coming out even after putting more fluids into him. They also sent him for an ultra sound before I left and we are now waiting to hear the results.
Dad's not eating and drinking much, in fact everything tastes horrible to him. He's only eaten today because I told him he has to eat and spoon feed it to him. Part of the problem is that he doesn't want the nurses to wipe his bum and doesn't want to bother them. UGH!!! Also told him he has to drink lots of water and he has since I've been getting after him.
Trying to get the oncology team here at Oshawa General to get going on arranging IG-IMRT radiation treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto, but nothing seems to be happening. The doctors here sent me to Toronto to see the radiologist last Thursday(right in the middle of all the Summit stuff going on), with all of Dad's latests imaging, and said he's thinks it's need now too, but then he says he needs the Oncology team in Oshawa to tell him what they want to do, such as if they want to wait to see if he's to get another chemo session in or not.
Ugh! Please somebody do something!!!
To add insult to injury, the hospitalist (he's like a GP) came over to me while I was standing in the hallway a few hours ago and chewed me out! He said that we shouldn't be discussing what's going on and asking questions in front of my Dad, that he's got enough to deal with. That if it was his Dad he wouldn't blah blah.... my Dad still has his faculties about him and wants to know what's going on, I've even asked him. And yet the day before he tells me that he can't talk to me everyday, he doesn't have time to talk to every family member.
Anyone have any insight and or words of encouragement, please send them this way...