I'm new to this site, I'd thought I'd submit a post of our recent dealings with CC.
My mom has recently been diagnosed with CC. It started in August 2012 with an ultrasound scan for a completely different reason. Whilst she was having the ultrasound they spotted a mark on her liver. She was then sent for a CT scan and blood tests.
In September my mom had an appointment with the doctor at our local hospital who confirmed that they believed my mom to have liver cancer, due to the mass on her liver and the elevated blood levels. However to be sure they wanted to carry out a biopsy.
This was carried out that week with the test results confirming their thoughts that mom had CC. This obviously came as such a huge blow to the family as Mom was not symptomatic at all, which I have since learned is quite common with CC.
The next day that we found out coincidentally Mom was showing signs of Jaundice, I arranged for her to have another Ultrasound to see if she had a blocked bile duct, which she did.
Since then Mom has been treated at the QE hospital in Birmingham, UK. She was admitted at the end of October to have a stent to open the bile duct. She recovered really well from that and was discharged relatively quickly.
After another appointment at the QE we were told that Mom's mass is circa 9cm and invading her portal vein. Because of this they have said that her CC is in-operable and her treatment route would be chemo. At this point mom was completely un-aware that she was in-curable. I'm sure you can imagine how this was, the Dr though broke the news so blase, and just said 'sorry about that'!! Mom has asked not to know about prognosis. I dont think knowing any statistics would do her any good. She barely asks questions of the dr because I think she is too scared to know the answers.
They decided that mom's treatment plan would be 8 rounds of Gemcitabine and Cisplatine, once a week for 2 weeks then a week off. Her chemo treatment didnt begin until early November, by which point I think my mom had thought they'd given up on her, seeing as it was nearly two months since it all began and she hadnt been given anything by means of treatment.
Mom has now finished this regime and has coped amazingly, she has not had any nausea, sickness or any major side affects. The only complaints she has had have been ringing in her ears so the Dr reduced her Cisplatin and a bad taste in her mouth. She has not been in any pain or even been taking painkillers, still symptomless. She had another CT scan half way through her regime and the results were fairly promising, the Drs were pleased, and said that overall the mass had stayed the same and they confirmed it had not spread anywhere else.
However, ever since Mom has finished her chemo (which was probably about 3 weeks ago now) she hasnt been very well. She developed the shivers and a high tempertaure so we took her to hospital where she was given antibiotics. Around this time she was so fatigiued that she didnt have the energy to do very much at all. I have been wondering if this is normal once treatment stops? She has been so tired these last couple of weeks, is that finishing treatment along with contracting an infection that has wiped her out?
When recovering she also tried picking up her small (but heavy) dog to put her on the bed and she's not sure if she's pulled her side as since then she's had a pain in the location where she had her stent. Is it possible to dislodge a stent from something like that? She has been back to our local GP who said her vitals are ok. She's worrying herself sick though, she's a natural worrier anyway but seeing her like this worries me. She has decribed the pain as a kind of scratching. I'm unsure if it's the stent or the cancer.
Has anyone else had anything like this?
Mom's due another CT scan in a few weeks. To be honest I think we're all dreading it. I'm getting married in a few months time and all I want is for Mom to there and well and to enjoy the day with us all.