Hi, I am 62 year old female diagnosed 5/2013 with cholangiocarcinoma. First symptoms; severe itching and severe jaundice. Found 6 cm mass in the liver and mets to nearby lymph nodes, inoperable, Stage IV, doctors are not optimistic about chemo of gis/cis helping me.
I would be interested in knowing what we have in common: The following apply to me:
1. Ate huge amounts of pastries as a way of self-medicating after my husband died June 16, 2011.
2. Most of my adult life I have been 20-30 lbs. overweight, with high BMI.
3. Stressful job (for me anyway).
4. In 1990's anemia due to bleeding ulcer.
5. In 1980's blisters would appear in right nostril. Doctors could not tell me why. Smoking, of course, did not help. Quit in 1988.
6. In 1990's blister outbreaks but infectious disease doctor said bloodwork indicated I had been exposed to Epstein-Barr virus. Prescribed Zovirax but I could not afford $100.00 meds. Doctor also said I had previously had mono.
In the 2000's, blisters are infrequent. I use to get them every month and body aches and fatigue would last 10 days.
7. Physically ambitious but no regular exercise program.
8. In late 1980's I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks and Zoloft and Tofranil were prescribed. To date I still take those meds with an occasional Xanax.
9. Never a big fruit and vegetable eater. Preferred carbs. Coffee intake 2 cups per day. Occasional soda (coke and pepsi). Huge 2% milk fan...1 gallon every 3 days. Little red meat and fish. Like bread and butter.
10. Drink alcohol the last few years but not much, only when I go dancing twice a month (4 drinks total per month).
11. Weakest part of my body has always been my stomach. I've been on Prilosec on and off for 15 years. I thought I had problems because of my diet and stress.
12. My three siblings health is very bad. Sister has lupus, brothers have diabetes and serious heart disease. Until my diagnosis, I was the only healthy one in my family.
13. Mother died of cerebral hemorrhage because of high blood pressure, would not take her pills and continued drinking 40 oz. of beer a night. Smoker, passed away at 73. Her family's health problems: Alcoholism, high blood pressure, stress related symptoms.
14. Father's died at at 73, smoker, heart problems, died of congestive heart failure. His family's health: Heart problems due to diabetes.
15. I have been a business owner and it could be stressful. My main hobby was animal rescue (self-funded). Lots of contact with cats and dogs running the streets of Detroit's inter-city. Did all clean-up using bleach and water.
Do we have anything in common that may have attributed to cholangiocarcinoma?