Topic: Happy Rosh Hoshana and Yom Kippur

Tonight begins our High Holidays starting with Rosh Hashanah and the blowing of the Shofar (rams horn) at which time you ask God to inscribe you in the book of Life and you spend the next 10 days asking for forgiveness for your sins.
Then on Yom Kippur you atone for the past sins and the Book of Life is sealed for another year. With that we say, "Shana Tova" for a blessed New Year with Health, Peace and Prosperity for all. BTW it goes double for my CC Family!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: Happy Rosh Hoshana and Yom Kippur

A Happy New Year to you Lainy!! Shana Tova to you as you say! smile

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

L'Shana Tova!!  May you have a sweet year ahead!
I made challah with apples in it!  It turned out awesome, wish you could taste it Lainy!

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Randi, that sounds awesome. Usually they do raisins and I can't eat them nor do I like them baked in anything. I am staying in tonight. Used to sing in our Choir for the High Holidays with Teddy but just can't do it right now. I do miss it.
I started going out with my youngest Grandson Brandon  who just turned 17. The other 3 are at College. We have been having date night for about 5 months now on Thursday nights. I tell you it is fantastic! So for tomorrow he requested I make sauce and meatballs so I did. Last week we hit Carrabba's and the waitress came over and asked how everything was and Brandon says, "you have the 2nd best Pasta in the World, my Grandma makes the first".
Anyway I was going to cut up apples and serve with honey for Rosh Hashana but I couldn't visualize that with Pasta! Brandon is sweet enough. Happy New Year!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Nice to hear you have date night with your grandson, Lainy. That is so sweet and I'm sure you treasure every moment with him. He sounds so sweet. Shana Tova to you, Randi, and all others celebrating the High Holidays!

Love,
-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Randi...I too used to make Challah but never with apples.  Sounds delicious.  Do you add the apples to the batter or do you top the Challah after braiding? 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Thanks Pam. I ended up with 2 of my 4 Grandkids here and 2 of their friends. Good thing I made a lot of sauce and meatballs. I LOVE it and am so excited to see them all. Hope you are doing well, Pam. I do think about you often.

8 (edited by randigb Thu, 05 Sep 2013 17:09:58)

Here is a link to the recipe and it really turned out great.  I have no patience for baking and even mine was fabulous!

http://theshiksa.com/2012/09/13/apple-honey-challah/

Love the name of the site with the recipe smile

Marion, The apples are baked inside the "ropes" for the braid.  They seem to melt into the dough and just give a wonderful flavor to the bread.

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.