Topic: Cancer Centers of America

Hi all.  I looking into getting a second opinion at this point eventhough my treatment is going well and chemo is showing shrinkage I am wanting to branch out more and see if there are other options available to me.  I talked with the CTCA today and really enjoyed the conversation I had with the fellow.  Very friendly respectful and gave me a lot of vital information including treatments they offer and they are familar with CCA.  I was hoping to head on down to the the one in Arizona but the guy said most likely that my insurance would not be covered there.  So he is recommending me to come out to the one in Chicago.  My question is has anyone had a consult from there?  Or in general what are people opinions after seeking helping from CTCA?  He said it would be a 3 to 5 day stay and I really liked what they had to offer such as organic complimentary meals, accupuncture and massage, dietician and naturopaths, etc.  Seems like they have a lot to offer and he also mentioned the doctors work in a very integrative team which i believe is important as well.  Any feedback on this would be great as I would like to make a decision to fly out from Oregon to Chicago the beginning of December.  Thanks in advance smile
Porter

Hope, love, strength...2013 and for the years to come, Porter.

Re: Cancer Centers of America

pfox.......I agree in that Cancer Centers of America provides excellent complimentary and integrative care however; I also believe that with this disease in particular, you would want to make sure to connect with a center or physicians (the later most often go hand in hand) treating a large amount of patients. 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Yes the patient advocate fellow I talked to said they are very familiar with CCA over there and have had over 600 patients.  So I am guessing that is a good number.  So I hope to get some feedback soon.  My other biggest issue is I am deathly afraid of flying sad
Porter

4 (edited by marions Wed, 06 Nov 2013 19:37:01)

MD Anderson sees the majority of CC cases - about 200 patients per year.  I believe that Mayo and Sloan are at 100, and the rest is divided between other centers and physicians.  I question that a particular CCA facility sees 600 patients per year.  Likely it is spread throughout all their centers and that number is cumulatively over a large time span.
Sorry, I don't mean to upset you however; I advocate for all CC patients, you included, dear pfox and I question statements such as the one made to you. 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

oh yes that makes more sense I am sure that is what he meant. smile Mayo told me after viewing my information that they didn't think I could benefit from their services so i have been hesitant for a while to start making calls again.  You could never upset me Marion, I always appreciate the most honest and direct information.  I want to try and get the best care and find out if there are other options available to me.  Does anyone know if any of these well know facilities do consults over the phone?

6 (edited by Lainy Wed, 06 Nov 2013 19:48:30)

Hi Porter, I jut lost my answer to you but actually said what Marion just said only I am not as politically nice. As far as I recall we have no one at CCTA and if they were they left! You need a big ONC at a BIG hospital and I have 2 for you as they are partners.

Dr. Lawrence Koep has been in private practice since 1981. He currently is a Clinical Professor of Surgery at the University of Arizona and has served as a lecturer since 1981. Dr. Koep was previously at the University of Colorado as a Transplant and Vascular Surgeon as well as Associate Professor of Surgery from 1976-1981. He received his medical degree from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 1970. He completed his surgical internship and residency and a transplant fellowship at Johns Hopkins Medical Center in 1976. Upon his arrival to Phoenix he revitalized the transplant program at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center.

Dr. Koep offers pancreas surgery and treatments for pancreatic cancer. In relation to the kidneys, Dr. Koep offers kidney transplantation and surgical treatments for kidney disease. When liver disease is present, Dr. Koep offers liver transplant procedures and surgical treatments for liver tumors.

Dr. Koep is Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery. Dr. Koep has published numerous articles and book chapters. He is a member of the following societies:
•Dr. Lawrence Koep offers pancreas surgery, kidney transplant and liver transplant servicesAmerican College of Surgeons
•American Medical Association
•American Gastroenterological Association
•American Society of Transplant Surgeons
•Arizona Medical Association
•Johns Hopkins Medical Society
•Maricopa County Medical Society
•Phoenix Surgical Society
•Transplantation Society

Dr. Koep has privileges at the following hospitals:
•Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center
•Phoenix Children's Hospital
•Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn
•St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
(We have a member Bob who is in his 15th yer after using Dr. Koep)
Dr. Cashman has been in private practice since July 2000. He currently serves as the Director of Liver Transplantation for Banner Good Samaritan Transplant Center and is an Associate Clinical Professor at University of Arizona. Dr. Cashman is originally from Texas. He received his medical degree from the University of Texas at Houston Medical School in 1993. He completed his internship and residency in general surgery at Phoenix Integrated Surgical Residency Program in 1998. In addition, he completed a fellowship in liver, kidney and pancreas transplantation at the University of California, San Diego Medical Center in 2000. Dr. Cashman is Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery.

Dr. Cashman's expertise includes organ transplantation, cancer of the liver and pancreas, and complex hepatobiliary disease. He is also proficient in minimally invasive robotic and laparoscopic surgical procedures for pancreas, liver, kidney, and adrenal disease.

Dr. James Cashman offers pancreas surgery, kidney transplant and liver transplant servicesHe is a member of the following societies:
•American College of Surgeons
•American Society of Transplant Surgeons
•Arizona Medical Association
•Maricopa County of Medical Society
•Phoenix Surgical Society
•Society of Surgical Oncology
•Southwestern Surgical Congress and the Transplantation Society

Dr. Cashman has privileges at the following hospitals:
•Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center
•Banner Estrella Medical Center
•Phoenix Children's Hospital
•Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn
•St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
Fellow American College of Surgeons Phoenix Magazine Top Doctor 2001 Phoenix Magazine Top Doctor 2003  (We used Dr. Cashman)
2218 N 3rd St, Phoenix, AZ 85004
(602) 252-2543 for both.
Now the best is if you come here you stay with me and I will go with you.

Fellow American College of Surgeons Phoenix Magazine Top Doctor 2001

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy you are amazing.  Thank you so much for the info.  Out of these and having ICC with a very large tumor now 14cm shrunk from 17cm in just a couple of months on gem/cis, would you recommend one or the other?  As I said I would like to get on top of this asap and know I can travel the first week of December.  And to Arizona I can just drive and see my brother while I am down there which just makes it so much more comforting in so many ways.

pfox.....we had several people treated at
http://www.seattlecca.org/diseases/gast … erview.cfm

I hope that some come forward and share their thoughts with us.
Hugs,
Marion

Thanks ladies I appreciate your input so greatly...and the positive attitude and hope you bring to us day after day. smile

10 (edited by Lainy Wed, 06 Nov 2013 20:23:57)

Porter, Dr. Koep is older and with Cashman being head of liver Transplants at Banner Samaritan and with his bedside manner for me the choice is easy. I remember when Teddy's CC returned the first time he was the one who recommended Cyber Knife. I had asked him about chemo/radiation and he put his hand on Teddy's leg and he said no, it will not help where you are at and I wouldn't let you do it if you were my father. For hospitals they are downtown and I would suggest either St. Joseph or Banner Good Samaritan. We were at both but I am partial to the Banner system. I will only go to one of theirs. They saved my life in February with this UC attack I had. Oh, now I remember your brother is here and if I am correct is he in Chandler. If so that is a stones throw from me. Both ONCS are extremely high rated here. The MDA here is not like the one in Houston.  This ONC is not only GQ looking he is wonderful. Takes his time with you and FYO his wife is also a surgeon, I think mostly breast cancer. If you need any help just jingle.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy once again thank you so much.  I think I know who I will be contacting and researching this evening...I want to fight this as dead on and as best I can and with this going well I am determined to beat this sucker!!!
Yes my Brother is in Chandler, well I think its actually Gilbert now smile
Porter

OH MY! I am in Gilbert! Right near San Tan Mall. You are still more than welcome to stay here (there is a pool and Jacuzzi). My Thanksgiving guests leave on Dec 2 and I have no doctors or anything yet the rest of the month! Oh, I forgot my next infusion is Dec 18th but that won't affect anything.
Either way I would also be happy to go with you if you like. I can't wait to hear what happens. By the way, MDA here .....a lot of people are saying the MDA stands for make more dough!

And Lainy I just looked them up and it looks like they take my insurance smile So I will be calling them in the morning first thing!

The good part is both are great so you can pick the one who can see you the soonest. I will be waiting with baited breath. Oh, wait, that's how I breath anyway! JK

HaHa.  Well I will be shooting for anytime between Dec 2nd thru Dec6th.  I have chemo off that week so i am going to keep my fingers crossed I can be seen!  :
)

pfox....please make sure to ask the number 1 question:  how many patients with this disease have you treated? Wishing and hoping for everything to work our for you.
Hugs,
Marion

Hey Porter, bust of luck with the second opinion.  I had 3.  University of Pittsburgh, OHSU, and Mayo Rochester.
I did tell my oncologist at OHSU that I was seeking another opinion and they were fine with it.  So, just in case you were curious, it's not something you need to hide.
Keep us posted and glad to hear your tumor shrunk!

Take care,

Susie

Porter,
I think they changed your mind, but just let me chime in about CTCA. I know AETNA does not recognize them. So if you did decide to consult with them, please make sure your insurance covers them. This goes for wherever you go.
Personally, I am glad it sounds like you are going elsewhere, as I have heard very little good about CTCA.
Good luck with getting your consult in Dec.!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Lainy are you familiar with U OF A cancer center? If so what do you think/know?  So far I have an appointment with Seattle in December and the the transplant team you referred is not something I am looking into quite yet as I have been deemed in operable.  I am looking for second opinions as far as my diagnosis, other treatment strategies, and possible surgery in future if we can continue to get this sucker to shrink smile

Porter I have not heard anything about the U of A Cancer Center except they broke ground in Feb for a new facility connected to St. Joseph Hospital which was one of the Hospitals I mentioned as tops. St. Joseph is where T had his Cyber Knife. Sorry, I was under the impression that Cashman and Koep treat patients with CC where surgery was not involved. My bad. I have been searching for the Cancer Center at St Joseph's and can't find the ONCS listed.
Unfortunately our other ONC retired and he was fabulous. My only suggestion would be the Hospital Marion suggested in Seattle if you don't want to go far or Banner MDA here. Since it's for a 2nd opinion and nothing is to be done if you don't like it you don't have to go back. That's all I can think of in these parts. Oh, what about UCLA?

Banner desert or Banner MD?

Well, my love is Banner Desert, that is where Teddy went for everything and me too. BUT we have to find you an ONC here. I just switched to a YOUNG gal, a Dr.Lau who is 36 and graduated from Duke U of Med. She told me that she has a young woman she is now treating for CC. Not sure she is ready for you. Ha, Ha  Guess I would do Banner MDA and if you like them and you have to have anything down the road you can still do it at Banner Desert. I know they have to get your records then the records go before a Board who decide which ONC you see. I know I got in, in 2 weeks. IF you want to do Banner Desert, we can search for the ONCS that go there.

I am trying to find some but i am finding their sites confusing smile

Porter, if you don't mind I want to tell all that it is important to you that you come here as your brother is here. I don't want them thinking I twisted your arm! So, we took our research to email as I am sure it is getting boring to others. We will let you know if Porter comes here. I got to meet Kris and now maybe Porter I'm excited.

I too am glad you are no longer considering CTCA.  I held back at first, but now that Kris put it out there.  I too know of no one here who has gone there and have not heard anything good about them.   They are for profit and I have been told from people who have checked them out that they don't take anyone whose insurance doesn't cover or can't afford to pay.   They also like to take cases that will make their statistics look good.   I do not know any of this from personal experience, but from others who have.

You are in good hands with our dear Lainy.  smile  I do hope you two can get together.  Since your brother lives near by and the hospitals and doctors in that area are highly recommended I'm thinking it is a good choice.

Take care and best of luck to you on your journey.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.