Topic: Surgery or no surgery - what to do?
Hello all, today we have been faced with a second opinion about surgery, which has thrown us completely off course.
In brief, my mum has ICC. It's a very large tumour and we currently have a surgeon who is lovely, very unassuming, with a great reputation, who says that he can take it out. To do this he wants to use a new technique called ALPPS, where they do the surgery in two halves, and wait for the liver to regenerate after the first op, before performing the second.
Today my mum was called in for a consultation with a second surgeon, who was very pushy, and said that 'she may as well choose her funeral songs' if she decides to go ahead with the surgery. He said that she would almost certainly die during the surgery as the liver may not regenerate, and if this happened, there wouldn't be enough liver left to sustain life. He has suggested SIRT instead, but didn't say particularly positive things about that either.
Now my mum feels very confused, and upset. She isn't sure who to believe. We don't really want to bring in a third surgeon to add in another opinion as it just seems to make her feel worse and more confused. I had heard that sometimes the liver doesn't regenerate but my understanding is that it is pretty uncommon? We feel at a bit of a loss and very deflated.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.