Re: Social Security Disability You can apply on line or local office

That's great news, Rick!! smile

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very glad you were approved, Rick! 

Yes, I am aware of the amount you can earn.  However, I am also weary of trying to work in the first year, and triggering a review.  There are work at home forums, and many disabled are members, these are the stories I hear of trying to better their situation by working small jobs, and end up loosing their disability over a few hundred per month.   There are companies that will take the ticket to work, and try their hardest to get you to work more hours than allowed.  Its just a mess to try and deal with.   

I want to work, don't get me wrong, however, my digestive system, does not allow me to be out of the house for more than a few hours at a time.  We are working on this, with some enzymes, and progress is being made!

Update:  I was approved for SSDI but told that I must wait 6 months before I start getting paid.  I asked the clerk about that and stated that I was under the impression for this illness that there was no waiting period and she responded that the only illness without a waiting period was A.L.S.

Can any of you share your experience? Was there a waiting period?  If not, do you know how you managed to avoid the waiting period and what the policy that was used was?

This is a bit of a bummer for me. I was hoping that this was immediate (after all I am NOT working!).  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Ulcerative Colitis 1990, Stage 0 colon cancer and subsequent colectomy with J-pouch in 7/2005, PSC 7/2005, Klatsin CCA 8/2009

Yes Rick there is a waiting period.  My last day of work was Sept 6, and they ruled out that entire month.  My first payment was in April.  That was for the month of March.   Did they rule out getting SSI in the meantime for you? I did not qualify for that, they use household income for those guidelines.