Kris, Lainy, and Marion, well, it seems that things are not going as well as we thought. Jeff will not be going to Colorado. Dr. Schulick got back from his trip and thoroughly examined all my son's records and images etc. He called my DIL and yes, he remembered her and my son and even mentioned the name my son likes to be called. What a dear man he is. In any case, he said that he would really love to be able to take care of my son out in Colorado, but that it would not be a quick nor easy thing to do, and that anything he could do out there, we could get done here closer to home.
He had examined all the records thoroughly, and that JH was correct to NOT do a biopsy, and that so far, at this point, everything that was being done was correct. My DIL asked him if we could bring him out and have him do surgery of some kind which might be helpful, and he said ABSOLUTELY NOT! NO ONE SHOULD TOUCH IT AT ALL. No one should try and do any surgery, not even him. NOW, ONLY CHEMO, NOTHING ELSE. She and all of us are at least happy to know that we are on the right path. Yes, he agreed it is very "serious."
Sooo, even he has no magic bullet.
His fungal infection is gone, the meds worked, and Robt. Wood Johnson hosp. has put in the port, so it will be ready for the chemo. they want him to stay a bit longer, and let them administer some additional med, not sure what. I get my info 2nd hand remember.
Dr. Nissenblatt, (who we wanted to have be his doctor here, but who was taking no new patients,) stopped by about 6 a.m yesterday. he turned on the light and came in and woke my son up, said who he was, but my son was not all that welcoming being still half asleep, so the doctor turned off the light and left. We are all a bit upset at that. We would have hoped that a good conversation and some helpful info could have taken place. We hope he comes back again. Our doctor told my DIL that Dr. N wants another scan done, and we are waiting to see if that is because he hasn't seen the other one yet or really does want another. I would be very happy if he were to become involved in my son's case. So we are hoping.
Sooo, I still don't know what kind of meds are going to be involved in the chemo. I asked my DIL again to try and find out. My son just wants to come home, he is not a compliant patient. He is one of those people who has never been sick before. I am hoping that his indomitable personality will be helpful in helping him through this chemo.
Soooo, we all were waiting and hoping that he could go to Colorado and something wonderful and miraculous would take place, and that is not going to happen. We do have confidence in Dr. Schulick, and are very glad to have his opinion, but still we are disappointed.
I am now wondering how much hope we can place in this chemo. (big sigh)