Topic: Travel during chemo

Hi,
My mom is on her second round of chemo and her oncologist suggested to her that she start getting out and doing more and encouraged her to travel. I live in CA and she lives in PA and we'd love to have a visit that's longer than a week to 10 days. So my question is, do you know if it's possible to have chemo at a hospital out of state? I'm going to call her insurance tomorrow to see what they say, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has done this. Thank you!

God Bless,
Meghan

2 (edited by kris00j Sun, 30 Mar 2014 22:32:03)

Re: Travel during chemo

I haven't done that, but my previous onc let me go to a closer onc for my chemo treatments. You shouldn't have any problems. Set it up ahead and the oncs can confer when it is time.

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

We did travel during my wife's chemo, but we never got chemo administered some place else.  She was doing the Gem/Cis combo with a 21 day cycle, and chemo on day 1 and day 8.  To the extent we did travel, we would do it during the "week off" between day 9 and day 21.

Jason

mabsmith.....I recall a few others who had received chemo from another physician while vacationing.  I hope it works for your Mom as well.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I really don't see any reason why not as long as everyone communicates and the insurance does not have a problem with it. I know people who have done kidney dialysis while traveling and the way people are so mobile any more I would think it shouldn't be an issue.

KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.