Topic: Sugar cravings

August 2010  at the age of 55, I had a shock diagnosis of cc. This was after watching my mum die 2 months previously after an unexpected diagnosis of bile duct cancer.  Within 10 days I had a major liver resection, (85%)  bit of small intestine removed, gall bladder, bile ducts, lymph nodes, portal vien excision  and more, then got  on the chemo arm of the Bilcap trial.  I am so fortunte to be here and I am trying to do my best re diet as a tool to keep recurrences at bay. However, my body craves sweet things. I try and keep to fruit but am concerned as I know that there sugar causes inflamation, of which there is an element in cancer. I no longer eat dates/bananas/figs/oranges/honey and use agave syrup in tea if I need a boost.  Suffer from severe fatigue and it's as though my body is crying out for instant energy. Tend to go for a fruit scone rather than cake, don't eat chocolate any more (body can't process it) but devour grapes/melons. Anybody else who's been in position have this craving too? As well as the fear? Also, what are patient's thoughts on alcohol? The chilled white wine on a summer's day? A glass of prosecco on a birthday? How are patients dealing with that? My gp says it would be good for me. I worry.

Re: Sugar cravings

angel....am I reading this correctly, your Mom had bile duct cancer/cholangiocarcinoma as well?
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Yes. Very unexpectedly she went into hospital...thought it would be routine gall blader removal..........turned out to be BTC of probable gall bladder origin and she was gone within 8 weeks. The consultant told me there was no way I could ever have this kind of cancer. Fast forward 8 weeks and I was admitted to A& E and given 2 weeks to live or the chance of an op.
Had Genetic testing done at Western General ....seems to have been no known genetic cause.
Want to tell my story as it's one of hope. Trying to raise awareness of BTC and have achieved that to some extent being a member of the Advisory Board of the SHPBN and contributing to the Guidelines for GPs for Urgent suspected cases of cancer.
Still crave sweet things
xx

I'm confused about all the posts on the boards about not eating sugar to apparently slow the growth of cancer.  Mayo Clinic has a page that talks about the "myths" of cancer, which I found to be very interesting and certainly blew a couple of old ideas I had out of the water.

They say that it is a myth that sugar causes cancer to grow....and the myth is based on an old PET scan study that was flawed.    All cells need sugar...aka glucose...which is formed from even vegetables.   By not eating food with glucose/sugar capability, you would be depriving your body of essential energy. 

That said, this isn't a time maybe to go on a  donut, cake, pop, and pie diet, but a normal diet is reasonable and necessary to maintain the rest of your body. 

My current oncologist (will be changing soon), also promotes this no sugar idea and I don't know how when the basis for it is a flawed study. 

Is there something I'm missing here....because the idea seems to prevalent...yet Mayo says not true.

Julie T.

"Just for today, I can get through anything."  Hey....I'm a cancer survivor, not a doctor.  The opinions I state are my own, based on my personal experiences or knowledge.  As always, talk to your doctor about your concerns and treatment.

As noted in other posts, I'm definitely in the minority on this.  My tastes have not changed much.  I still eat chocolate, huge blueberry muffins, donuts, strawberries, orange juice, maple syrup, beef, you get the idea.  The only thing I've cut way back on is alcohol (less than a beer/whiskey a week.) even though my onc has not stressed this.  I'm trying to put as little stress on my liver as possible.

We talked about low dose aspirin.  I forwarded the article Gavin posted the link to.  She wants me to not use it because of the possible impact on my already low platelets.

I'm taking vitamin C, zinc, Chinese herbals, chamomille tea daily.  Exercise, walking, yard work.

My attitude is if it's not going to make me feel happier, it's not going to make me better.  Conversely, if it's going to make me feel unhappy, it's going to make me feel worse.  (It may take a few reads to get the idea; it's kind of twisted.)

Fighting with dignity, not desperation.

Live, Laugh, Love

Well, Duke, I don't find it twisted at all, I actually agree with you. You are all going through enough, the CC is already there why not have a moment here and there for a treat. Teddy's ONC told him he could have a glass of red wine in moderation. He had lost his taste for sweets and used to be a chocoholic but that is kind of normal after a Whipple. Life is for the living!!!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Thanks Duke and Lainy, ....I kind of felt out there all by myself with this on the sugar.  Being insulin dependent diabetic, I'm pretty careful about what I eat "most" of the time, but I do allow myself sweets now and then (only if I also think they're "worth" the calories....I mean it has to be something really good, right?).  smile))))   Seriously, my husband and brother(engineer and science types) read up on the sugar and cancer connection....and what they discovered was that if one pathway to growth of cancer is cut back (like cutting out sugar), the cancer finds another pathway to get what it needs to survive.  I can't quote what they found...I wasn't really in very good shape at that time...just remember the conversation.   I screwed up this afternoon....took way too much of my short acting insulin.....and had to cover it with some high carbs...and decided that this was the time to treat myself to Hagen Das Dulce la Leche' ice cream...two mini cups to off set the amount of insulin I shot into my arm.  I will pay for that on the scale tomorrow or the next day....but oh my.....did that taste good.  I didn't realize how much I needed something like that to feel normal.

"Just for today, I can get through anything."  Hey....I'm a cancer survivor, not a doctor.  The opinions I state are my own, based on my personal experiences or knowledge.  As always, talk to your doctor about your concerns and treatment.

Julie, being Diabetic II I have also over shot before. This is going to sound weird but found a great remedy for me when Glucose drops too low. Ready? You know those fruit roll ups that the kids love? I keep some in the fridge and some in my purse. When sugar takes a drop I eat a fruit roll. Works for me in minutes. Now that I am back on Prednisone for the UC my blood sugars will go nuts again but it's only for a month. So, acorn face will peep through soon as well!!!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy, Thanks for the fruit roll ups idea.  It's been years since I bought any...when our son was small (he's now 34).  I had totally forgotten about them.  Oh...I know about the steroids.....esp prednisone, as that is what kicked off my type II diabetes about 16 years ago.  When I had the first infusion of gem/cis, my blood sugar went up to 358 that day...and hovered around 300 for the following day.  Of course, some of that could have been from the blood clots thrown to my lungs while I was in the chemo chair.  I have NO idea what to expect with this next infusion of gem/cis which will be on 5/21..next Wednesday.  Anxious/nervous/scared doesn't quite cover it.   In any case, I shouldn't have to worry about any low blood sugars for a while...unless I screw up again with the insulin.  I haven't done that in ages.....but it's just an indication as to how totally distracted and worried I am, I guess.  Ack...now you have me craving one of those fruit roll ups and I haven't had one in years.  smile

10 (edited by Darla Thu, 15 May 2014 09:35:54)

Oh my Julie we do have similar tastes.  Dulce de Leche  is also one of my favorites!  smile  I figure that everything is good in moderation.  smile  Not so much on the fruit rollups tho'.  Good balancing act.  Glad it worked out OK.

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

DArla....you're from Wisconsin.....I figure you'd HAVE to like milk products.  smile