Topic: This Advise Giver Needs Some Advise

About February/March I wrote that Teddy was getting extremely bloated and "flatuated" not to confuse with infatuated. All blood work is normal so far and we get newest PET results next Wednesday. The above problem is getting worse and you know what that does to our minds. When he gets like this he sleeps the day away. He also said he needs to eat dinner about 4PM now as he feels the food is not "going down" in time for bed, if its later then he is up all night with indigestion. Problem #2 is once you have a Whipple can you still have an endoscopy? One doctor was rushing to do it last winter and another, who is tops, says you can't do an endoscopy anymore as everything is rearranged. Who to believe.  Any advise is welcome! He has cut his portions down and trying not to eat bloatable foods. Bottom line I am concerned because its getting worse not better.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: This Advise Giver Needs Some Advise

Hi Lainy;
Sorry I don't know anything about post Whipple surgery but I can send lots of prayers your way. Have you tried raising the head of the bed? My husband gets lots of indigestion at night and we were told that raising the head of the bed would help. His Dr said that he just puts a couple of pieces of wood under his headboard legs. We bought cones that you can use to raise the bed so you can store stuff under it, and plan on  just using them at the head of the bed. Also, I was just thinking that the Dr I see for accupuncture has me taking Digestive Enzymes to help. Maybe that would be something that would help Teddy. Don't know if any of this helps but you'll be in my prayers that you get good news on Wed!! God Bless,
Jamie

I don't know if this helps, but I've noticed that a easily digestible or vegan-type diet works best for me.

Thanks girls, you both make sense. Will raise the bed and ask the doc about digestive enzymes. Thanks a lot.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy,

I have no answers for you, but those suggestions seem to be a good place to start.  Hope some of it works for Teddy.  Good luck! smile

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hi Lainy!  I thought you had posted that he was going to ask about the enzymes!  Anyways, I was just put on them , started yesterday.   I can take up to 4 of them , 30 min before a meal or snack.  Last night was much better  as far as the bloating and gas.  I set the timer on the oven, instead of watching the clock.   

Hope he gets some relief.  I had an apt. for check up with my Surgeon, and as we spoke of my issues, he knew right away that I needed to have these.  The local dr's kept telling me to take Gas products, which was not helping a bit!

I don't understand this. Our ONC is rated one of the top 3 in the city by all other doctors. But when I asked him about putting T on digestive enzymes he like buffed it off. And that ticked me off. I am certainly going to ask him again. As bad as T was yesterday he feels great today. Go figure.  Thanks.

Lainy,

I'm glad he is feeling great today.  As for the doctor.  I am sure you will keep him in line! smile  Keep asking until you get the answers.  As you say, "ATTITUDE" is everything & you two have always had the best attitude out there.

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Lainy;
I'm not surprised that much that the Dr isn't pushing the enzymes. I have found that alot of them know nothing about nutrition and are not open to any supplements. He may not know anything about them. I get mine from my chiropracter/accupuncturist. After my surgery, she changed me from Digestive Enzymes to Dig..E. with GB because they took out my Gall Bladder. These have bile salts added. Let me know if I can help in anyway. Feel free to email me.
God Bless,
Jamie

Thanks Jamie.  Our ONC is pretty hip. In the beginning he told us he has no problem with trials and is pretty aggressive otherwise. He already knows I am tenacious so we shall see. If T was a little more controllable as far as what and how much he eats I am sure he would be better!!!  How do you tell a 77 year old Sicilian what to do????  Say, my mom was born and raised in St Paul.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Thanks Marion. Always value your input. Hope you are doing well and enjoying your summer.

I am preparing for my flight to Barcelona for the World Conference of Gastrointestinal Cancer.  In fact, I am leaving Sunday morning.  I am really excited about meeting up with Pauline and I have several appointments with physicians from different countries.  Tell Teddy, I will make sure to mention him to the Sicilian physicians.  This will be our first overseas conference and I am hoping for the Foundation to have a major impact here.
Hugs
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Try to have some fun too!!!  I am highly jealous.  Safe travel!

Marion,

I too amy jealous!  I wish I were coming with.  Pauline & I have come to be great cyber friends.  She has helped me so much these past months since Jim passed on.  She lost Anthony only 1 month before I lost Jim, so we are kindred lost souls.  Give her a big hug from me when you meet her. Have a safe trip and a great time in Spain.  I am sure that you 2 girls will blow them away at the conference. You will have a major impact, I am sure.

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

Oh Darla.  You can count on it.  Major hug for Pauline.  I have been reading your postings all along and have a pretty good understanding of what you mean to each other.  It always amazes me when I witness such incredible friendships blossom out of the tragedy endured.  All of you are the best.
Hugs
Marion