Topic: Feeling bad for dad

Hi all,

Dad is really fatigued from the chemo.  He has lost a lot of his hair.  I feel so bad for him.  Never been sick a day in his life until this. 

This week marks his halfway mark through chemo. Doctors have not run any tumor marker tests yet.  Dad is starting to get a little down.  Wondering if it is going to work.  We have been told that there is a good chance because the only cancer found was in the lymph node of the portal.  Which I am still unsure of where the portal is. 

I guess I am wondering if this chemo/radiation is going to work.  I am confused on why dr say that chemo/rad does not work for this type of cancer but it may work for the reoccurrence.  Is it because it is not in the liver???  I am so darn confused!!! Help.

xo kay

Re: Feeling bad for dad

Kay....Most likely they are talking about the Portal Vein.  On this board, we have witnessed some great responses to treatments and I am wishing for your Dad to experience the same.  Of course, this is a time of great doubt and fear but, we have to hope for the outcome to be nothing but amazing.  I am sending all my best wishes your way,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Feeling bad for dad

Kay,
Although it is true that chemo isnt the greastest with this cancer, we have seen that it does work in some people. I think that most doctors say it doesnt work is because the older chemo were less successful. They are now combining different chemotherapies and mononuclear antibodies that are getting better results. I looked up the chemo regime I was on and discovered that all were developed in the last 10 years (I think I am remembering that correctly). They would not have had time for many long term studies on such a rare disease. The statistics are always changing. And in this case, they are changing for the better. Still not good, but better.

I cant remember exactly now, but I think one study showed 30% of the people responded to chemo treatment. When I mentioned it to my doctor I said that I knew that wasnt too high and she said that it wasnt too bad for cancer either. I think we are all so used to the success with breast and prostate cancers that we sometimes feel so discouraged.

Best of luck to your dad.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope