Topic: Is it too crazy? I want to wrote a letter to Dr. Valle

I found the phase II study about using Gemzar/Cisplatin was presented on ASCO annual meeting at 2006, and it was published on British Journal of Cancer on August this year. From 2006 to now, it's about 3 years!!!! I don't know why it need such a long time. On the analogy of this, I am afraid of the phase III results won't be published until 2012......

So I want to wrote a letter to Dr. Valle, the main investigator in this research, to know some detailed questions. Do you think it is practicable? Is it unpolite?

As some of you may know, I live in Asia, and English isn't my native language, could someone give me some suggestions? I am not familar with English culture....

How to write a polite letter for this situation? Should I write an introduction in the beginning of the letter? What should I write in the end of the letter?

Thanks

Re: Is it too crazy? I want to wrote a letter to Dr. Valle

Viola,

By all means, write! I am a college professor, so if you want me to read your letter and polish it or comment on it before you send it, you can e-mail it to me.

Most researchers would be flattered to know that their work is read and appreciated. It is typical, though, for a time lag between discussing a research project and publication of the results. Some of that delay can be simply a matter of verifying and analyzing the results and some is the timeline of the publications.
As for formatting, there are templates in Microsoft Word for business letters, and that is the format I would suggest if you have access. In your letter, you might invite the good doctor to visit this website.
Go for it!
Louise smile

3 (edited by marions Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:23:56)

I agree with Louise.  I would like to add that Pauline and I had met with Dr. Valle, in Barcelona and he showed much interest and support of this Foundation.  A multitude of physicians and researchers are working on analyzing the raw data from this multinational, longest study ever conducted on Cholangiocarcinoma patients.  This study focused on the end-point only meaning, the survival rate of patients in comparison to those patients treated with one particular chemotherapy agent, solely.   It does not appear that metastasic patients had a particular positive outcome.  But, as Louise has mentioned  much information will still have to be analyzed and published.  I have posted an article under New Development: "How to read a clinical study" which may also be helpful in understanding the process of clinical trials; how they are conducted and analyzed.
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Louise & Marions: Thanks for your encouragement. I'll start to write the letter soon, and after finished, I'll e-mail to Louise for polish.

Thanks for Louise's help in advance.

5 (edited by Lalupes Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:53:15)

That sounds wonderful, Viola!!  It's not impolite at all.  Please let us know what he says.

Julia
smile

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson