Topic: Gemcytabine and Cisplatin

My wife's oncologist wants to put her on the chemo therapy in the subject line starting immediately.      We're going to get a second opinion with an oncologist at Winship (Emory Hospital).

While side effects are important, I am more concerned about how effective this therapy was in shrinking the cancer.

Does anyone have any experiences with this therapy?

Re: Gemcytabine and Cisplatin

I just completed my first cycle last week of Gem/Cis. I will probably go thru a couple more cycles before they check for shrinkage. Side effects have not been to bad. I've been trying to update my journey as I progress.

Re: Gemcytabine and Cisplatin

gtm....here is a link to the mentioned study:
www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/medicalupdates.htm
It was the largest ever conducted clinical trial on Cholangiocarcinoma patients (multinational.)  Also, the majority of patients had intrahepatic CC. Several of our members including, Tom are undergoing this particular regiment. 
It will be interesting to see if the oncologist at Winship will follow this protocol or, for which ever reason another treatment appears to be more appropriate for your wife.
Best wishes coming your way,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER