Topic: Teddy's CA-19 Climbing

We went to the ONC today for Teddy's LAB results and since Nov 6th the CA19 has climbed from  186 to 233. The ONC asked if we were getting the PET Scan and I told him the story about the denial and he said, "Would you mind if I called Dr. Kresl (Radman),  and helped him push this along?". I said of course not, help yourself! He is something else. He said we WILL get it and he too would like it sooner than later. The funi thing is his B.R. is .06, perfect. But I guess that just shows it is not in his bile ducts. All other labs were excellent.
Our daughter is upset as she feels all this scanning feeds the cancer as that is what her friends naturopathic  doctor says. Our ONC says it does not. Any thoughts on this?

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: Teddy's CA-19 Climbing

Hi Lainy,

I am sorry to hear that Teddy's CA-19 has climbed. What a great medical team Teddy has though! Surely now that he has both the Radman and the Onc batting for him the inurance company will give the go-ahead for the PET scan. I am sure Teddy will get it.

I'm sorry that I can't help you with the scanning feeding the cancer though, I have no idea.

My thoughts as always are with you both. Best wishes.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

My very, very best wishes to you & Teddy, Lainy.  I can't even begin to imagine the frustration of having to fight your insurers in this.

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Your doctor sounds like my psychologist who likes to stick her fingers in all my pies because she said I am not the one who should be fighting all the time so she makes loads of calls and makes a pest of herself for me. Gotta love those type of doctors.

I dont know about the scan question. I would tend to think not since nothing has been said before about it. I think I am going to call my oncologist friend again for a chit chat and if I can remember, I will ask her. Dont get your hopes up, my mind is like a jello these days, but I will try to remember.

Hugs.
\Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Lainy....your daughter may very well be right however, scanning is one of the tools needed in evaluating the disease.  If one choses to treat this disease then the use of scans is mandatory.  There is no way around it in this imperfect world.  We have to believe that the risk outweighs the benefit.
Hugs to both of you,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi Lainy,

I'm sorry Teddy's CA19 is still misbehaving. I, like Julia, cannot imagine what it's like to have to fight insurers for all your procedures. However, what a blessing to have medical staff jumping in to get it sorted for you. Kris's doc is obviously from the same mold. Great!

You both take care,  Val x