Topic: I have not updated in sometime

So...
I had a ct scan in October and the local radiologist compared this to the scan in April. His reports reads of a tumor who's size has grown by a few centimeters in that period of time.  The oncologist was wanting a pet scan to see if it was cancer, and I just want to know what it is, knowing the fight with insurance over pet scans, my decision was to take the scans and reports to the surgeons for him to review. The check up apt was set up 6 months ago, and the oncologist agreed that is the best suggestion.

I saw my surgeon on Tuesday, and as he was reading the radiology report, he became quite agitated, and said this radiologist has no idea what he is talking about.
That its very obvious he is unfamiliar with a whipple and how I am now wired differently, so to say.  Now I have to return to OKC and have bloodwork, another CT scan and a PET scan, all to prove to me that there is no new tumor and put my fears to rest.

The only thing that shows up on all the blood work is an elevated Alkaline Phosphatase, 198, normal is 42-98.

Going in Monday the 21st , should have results on Christmas Eve. I had to insist these be done before the new deductible year begins! This will be an insurance nightmare anyway.

Re: I have not updated in sometime

Hi Jill, just been there and done that! Know what? Its all worth all the frustration and aggravation to end up with a good report. You just know they are not going to let us get away free. We understand about the re-wired thing also and so far that little trick has not been pulled, reading it wrong. I hope you get it done too by the New Year.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Jill......Given the complex nature of the surgery it may very well be likely for the radiologist not to be able to interpret the current physical changes.  Similarly, in our case many physicians including, surgeons, radiologists, and GI physicians had difficulties reading the reports or scans post surgery.  Adding the invonceniences (to say the least) of insurance compliance on the patient's end during follow-up can really be frustrating.  Hang in there.  I am hoping and wishing for a great Christmas present in that everything turns out to be a false alarm.
Best of wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Jill,
I remember getting an ultrasound after surgery in which a new doctor gave up and went to get his coworker who had more experience. NOTHING was were it should have been and pieces were missing and my liver hadnt grown back yet. He told me "sorry, your landmarks are missing" I thought that was funny. We are just a weird group anatomically now.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Thanks Ladies! I am having the scans today and will have the results Christmas eve. What a roller coaster this is. Here we are cruising along with the belief I am "home free", then bam,  being told there is a new tumor, but wait, maybe not!

Jill,

The heck with a White Christmas, my fingers are crossed for good scans for Christmas! Keep us posted.

Patty

Jill,

Good luck today with the scans.  I will be hoping for the very best of news for you on Christmas Eve.

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Jill,

Good luck with the scans. I hope you get some good results and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best wishes

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

9 (edited by marions Mon, 21 Dec 2009 20:13:27)

Jill....I am hanging on to the "maybe not".
Crossing my fingers
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Thanks again all!

The surgeon called me Christmas Eve, he informed me  he did not see any tumors or issues at all.  Needless to say, we had a very enjoyable Christmas Day with our family!

Oh, Yea, Jill. Best darn Christmas ever. We are so happy for you and now you can usher in the New Year on a happy note as well. You are not just-Jill, you are also another Miracle!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Jill......thanks for sharing this incredible, wonderful news.  And, Happy New Year.
I am wishing for continued success
Marion

Jill,

What a great gift to you on Christmas Eve and also a wonderful way to start the New Year.  Wishing you the best.

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.