Topic: Can it be true - no cancer?!

My mother, 63 years old, was diagnosed with a large liver tumor (8cm x 6cm x 10cm) in May '09, which had not spread anyhere else.  Liver resection in July, chemo started in August (gemzar and cisplatin) for 6 cycles.  She finished up chemo earlier this month. 

She had a PET scan on Wednesday.  The doctor was off, but her wonderful oncology nurse called her Christmas Eve to tell her the scan showed NO SIGN OF CANCER.  Anywhere.

Can this be true?  Four days later and I'm still pinching myself, like I'm going to wake up from a dream.  Mom certainly has a fighting spirit and we all were so positive throughout it all.  But I had prepared myself for the worst (both consciously and subconsciously I think), so hearing the cancer is gone was unbelievable.

I know this battle will never be over. We have an appointment Tuesday to find out details of what kinds of follow up tests she'll need moving forward, since I'm assuming they'll want to keep tabs on her.  As with everything over the last 7 months, it's all such a learning experience for me.

I hope this maybe gives some comfort and hope to those battling this nasty beast.  And please know that my heart is with those of you who have lost the battle.  This must be such a hard time of year.

~Kim
my mother lost her 16 month battle with CC 9/26/10
"Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined."

Re: Can it be true - no cancer?!

What a way to end Christmas and start the New Year! Just goes to show once again we are not statistics. Enjoy!!!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

kimmie....Congratulations to a cancer- free Mom.  And, indeed you have given hope to many of us.  Thank you for sharing this wonderful news.
Best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

kimmie...... thats fantastic, best wishes

moon

Yes, it can be true. I am so happy for you and your family.

KRis

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Hi Kimme,

Good news indeed and I hope the good news keeps coming for you.

Best wishes

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi Kimmie, Yep, it can be true. Its the news my Dr. Gave me on Christmas Eve!

WAY TO GO MOM AND WAY TO GO NURSE. I AM SURE THAT IS ALL YOUR MOM WANTED FOR CHRISTMAS! I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED EVERY MOMENT OF THE DAY. - TAKE CARE AND THANKS FOR HELPING ALL OF US KEEP UP THE FIGHT!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  That's the best news you could hear!  Thank you for posting your news here.  It helps to keep the hope going.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

That's brilliant news, Kimmie.  Thanks for telling us.  My sister's just finished her 4th cycle of Gem/Cis so fingers crossed for her, too.

Julia x

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."