Topic: A Happy Burn's night to you all!

Hi everyone,

To all of you who celebrate it or may have even just a wee bit of Scots in you, I wish you a happy Burns night! And if tonight you are out celebrating the life and works of the Bard, I hope you have a great supper, enjoy your haggis and also a wee dram or two!

For those of you who may not know what on earth I am talking about, here are some links-

The Burns supper -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_supper

The man himself -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns

And for those of you brave enough to look, the Haggis recipe!

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/haggis2.htm

My best wishes to each and every one of you,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Re: A Happy Burn's night to you all!

Enjoy the night Gavin. I will be missing all those men in kilts. Have a nice whisky and go have a blast with some friends. I really miss Scotland. I havent been back since Nov 2008. It has been way too long.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Hi Kris,

Thank you. If I am not mistaken, I recall reading a previous post by you in which you talk about attending a Burns supper when you lived here?
Did you enjoy the haggis, and the whisky?? My mum hates haggis, but I love it!

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

There was a recipe for a Bobby Burns cocktail in the Sydney morning herald yesterday

I do like haggis. I used to order it at McPhabbs in Glasgow. Whisky is also good though I confess that I have slightly expensive tastes in it. I was introduced to it by an exboyfriends father who was very wealthy and only drank the good stuff. Then I dated a bartender who also only drank the top shelf. But now alas, no whusky for me. Leroy might like it too much,

Did you have a good time?

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Hope you had a good night Gavin!!

Katie

Hi Gavin,

I think I will pass on the haggis, but really enjoyed reading the history of it all.  The things we all learn on this site!  smile   Hope you had a nice evening.

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hi Kris, Katie and Darla,

Yes I had a good night, although it was a quiet one. Like you Kris, when it came to whisky, I would only drink the malts. Not the really expensive ones though, but if I would have a whisky, it would be a malt. A Glenfiddich 12 year old malt always tasted good, but I haven't had one in years.

Darla, I guess that when you read the recipe for haggis, it doesn't really sell itself well! But when you taste it with the neeps and tatties, or turnip and potatoes in English, it really is delicious! And I am sure that Kris will agree with me! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed reading the history of the night.

Best wishes to you all,

Gavin

9 (edited by Darla Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:35:24)

Gavin,

I could do with the neeps & tatties and will defer to you and Kris on the haggis.  Who knows, maybe some day if I ever have an opportunity, I will give it a try!  smile

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hi Darla,

Yes, the neeps and tatties are good, very good! But I will make a believer out of you yet with regard to the haggis! Go on, be brave, give it a try sometime if you get the chance! It really is sooo much nicer than it sounds!

Best wishes

Gavin