Topic: Mom passed away on April 5th

My beloved mother passed away on Easter Monday, April the 5th at the young age of 56.  She first became ill in November and everything went downhill since then.  She was diagnosed with stage 4 CC in December with metastasis on the omentum.  She was on Chemo for a bit, but many treatments were canceled due do various reasons with her health (low WBC's, low protein count etc).  2 weeks before she died she was admitted into palliative care at PMH in Toronto, Ontario.  The goal was to help her build up some strength so that she could return home to continue with chemo treatments.  Well she never made it home.  1 week before she died she had a CT scan done which showed that the tumors on her omentum had grown from 1cm to 4cm in a matter of 3 months.  Mom was very weak, she needed assistance to use the washroom, and she needed help to turn over in her bed.  She stopped eating for the last 2 months, other then soup broth.  She said she always felt really full.  Her ascetis was really bad and she had a perm catheter inserted in her abdomen to help drain the fluid.  1 week before she died her doctor told us that her prognosis would be weeks.  4 days before she passed we took her outside in her wheelchair, and she was so happy to be outside for a bit, she closed her eyes and tilted her head back, and soaked up the sun.  Even though we knew it would happen soon, I still felt shocked when the nurse called me to deliver the horrible news.  Mom was so strong, while she was going through all of her treatments, and even when we found out her prognosis was not good, she never complained at all.  In fact the day she died she asked the nurse to tell us not to visit her, and she asked the nurse to put a sign on her door saying "no visitors", she asked the nurse to lay her on her back, and place her rosary beside her, she asked her to remove her pajama pants and 15min later the nurse went to check on her and my mom told her to leave her alone.  15min later the nurse went to check on her again and she was gone.  She died at 10:30am, and my dad usually visited her everyday at 11:30am.  She somehow knew that she would did at that moment, and got into position for us.  I miss her so much.

Re: Mom passed away on April 5th

I am very sorry for your loss. I agree, your mom was too young but I am happy she seems to have had a peaceful passing on her terms. Hopefully the time will come when you will remember how she was pre cc and not those last weeks.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

So sorry for your loss.

Deepest sympathies for the loss of your mom.   Wishing you God's peace as you remember the remarkable woman she was.

Jolene

"Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."     ~g. b. hinckley

Scraggles, please accept our deepest sympathies on the passing of your Mother. Though a huge loss at a "young" age, she called the shots, she laid out the terms and she went to peace with such class and dignity. She will never be far from you because Mother's really never leave their children.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Dear Scraggles,

I am sorry to hear the news about your mums passing. Please accept my condolences.

My thoughts are with you and your family right now.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.You did so well and how lovely for your mum to get outside in the sun like that                        Janet

my sincere condoleces to you and your family

moontje

I would also like to add my sincere condolences to you and your family.   It sounds like your Mom was a very strong person and did it her way. Through all the sadness remember that she will always be with you in your heart and memories.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Oh Scraggles,

Your Mom sounds like an amazing woman.  She faced life and her death with dignity and on her own terms.  From reading your posts about her and her journey with CC she obviously leaves an incredible legacy in you.  My heart is breaking for you.   I know how hard it is to lose your Mom and it sounds as if you had one of the best.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. 

Hugs,
Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Scraggles,

My heartfelt condolences.  Your Mom was only a couple years older than I am.  Way too young.  Stay strong.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Thank you everyone

Scraggles,

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.  It has been just over 2 months since my father passed at the young age of 62.  The best advice someone gave me a few days after his passing was to just be kind to yourself.  Grieve as long as you want or need.  I am yet to get through a day without crying out for my daddy. 

Lots of love and prayers coming your way.

kay

I'm so, so sorry, Scraggles.  Thank you for telling us of your mum's enjoyment of the sunshine & how she passed at her own time, in her own way & with her rosary by her side.  She sounds a remarkable woman.

You & she are in my thoughts.

Julia

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm very sorry for your loss. My mom died a year ago and so did my dad. Please feel free to express your self here in your grieving process. You are not alone.
Much love and strength to you.

Your mom sounds like a brave and amazing woman.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  We have another angel in Heaven waiting for us.

I can imagine how she soaked up the sun that day and it sounds like she felt alot of peace in her passing.. I wish the same for my mom when the time comes.