Topic: Hans won our sick leave case in the Swedish Supreme Court!!!

My incredibly wonderful, smart and talented husband won our case in the Swedish Supreme Court and I am so very proud of him.

Many of you know that I was first diagnosed and treated in Scotland after becoming sick while being a bridesmaid in my bestfriends wedding. Sweden agreed to pay for all medical bills and my surgery but would not allow Hans to take sick leave to be with me. If I had become sick in Sweden, he would have been entitled to it. Instead, he took vacation days during the most intense part of the period.

By EU law, we thought this was illegal. The governement cannot make a distinction between EU member nations. Hans looked up EU rules and regulations, similar court cases in other member nations and prepared our court case. We won in the first court, lost on appeals, and then we took it to the Supreme Court and won.

Now Swedes will be covered by sick leave to be with their family members in other EU nations. No other person will have to take vacation days or be denied the chance to be with their loved ones during health emergencies. We have really made a difference to Sweden's laws and how they affect Swedish families.

I am so very proud of Hans and in some ways, I think of this as a bright spot that came out of my cc. In some ways, if I die, this will be my legacy.

Did I mention how much I love and how proud I am of Hans?

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Re: Hans won our sick leave case in the Swedish Supreme Court!!!

Wow Kris,  You must be so proud of what he has accomplished (you mentioned it a few times! smile ), not only for himself but for others in the future.  Good job Hans!

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Kris
Well done to Hans and yourself for adding to legal protection for patients and their partners in Sweden and adding to case law in the EU which will benefit all EU members.

By him a pint..........................Gerry

OMGosh, Kris & Hans...what a fabulous Law for you to have conquered. We are so very proud of Hans as well. I am just gushing for you both. Kris, someone, somewhere always comes along to make things better for others and you, Kris are one of those human beings. What a legacy indeed. We are  thrilled for you and thrilled for this successful quest. Love you both.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Wow, what a great accomplishment.  Way to go Hans!  You must be so proud of him, Kris.  The two of you HAVE made a lasting mark on this world and although it is unfortunate it is a result of cancer, it is still a big positive contribution nonetheless.

I'll drink to this news.  Not too much, of course. smile

Rick

Ulcerative Colitis 1990, Stage 0 colon cancer and subsequent colectomy with J-pouch in 7/2005, PSC 7/2005, Klatsin CCA 8/2009

Kris....to set precedence in the field of law is an incredible accomplishmet.  To change the law in the EU is in another stratosphere.  You guys are great.
Kudos to both of you,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Kris, what an awesome accomplishment, tremendous feat, that Hans has made!!! and absolutely what a terrific legacy.  To change a law like that and set precedence for others battling the same things in the medical field...no wonder you are so proud of your husband.

Wonderful job.

Linda Z.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Wow Kris and Hans!  Congratulations and thank you for your efforts on behalf of all families dealing with serious illness.  I'm so impressed with what you have accomplished and you did this at the same time you've been dealing with surgery, chemo, emotional ups and downs.....!!!
Betsy

Kris and Hans,

What a difference you have made for many many people.  You two have made a wonderful mark in the world that will help "bring buckets of hope" to others.

Kathy

I'm so proud of you both!
Ashley

This is sooooo wonderful, Kris.  Many, many congratulations to Hans & to you.

Jxx

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Hi Kris,

Great stuff indeed! And well done to you and Hans for achieving this, that is some feat! No wonder you are so proud of him!!

Best wishes to you both,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

That's so great Kris! It just shows that you can make a difference if you really try. Also it shows that things are much more humane in Europe than here. Some people are lucky enough to get sick leave here but most have to take it without pay. The financial burdens people face here if they become sick are unbelievable. Both you and Hans keep up the fighting spirit! 
                                           Take care, Mary