Topic: Our Date To The ONC Today

We had our duo date with the ONC today. He was very happy that Teddy made the decision to NOT do Chemo (remember, we always knew Chemo would not work for him) and he could not get over Teddy's attitude and mental outlook. Teddy will see him again the day before we go on vacation to Milwaukee, and will get his B12 shot and a check-up so that he and the ONC feel secure with him leaving. Teddy got a RX for Codeine just in case anything should act up while we are gone. T will continue with monthly visits.

My appointment was full of great news.  PET Scan was totally clean. Even the inflammation of one node had cleared up. I don't have to go back for 4 months and will proceed with 2 PET Scans a year. I am told that IF I stay Cancer free for 2 years I probably will not get the GIST back. 

Cannot ask for better than all of that and our Cancer dance continues. By the way I treated today, next time his turn to treat for the office visit!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: Our Date To The ONC Today

Morning Lainy,

What great news for you with your PET scan!!!! Excellent stuff indeed!! I don't know anything about GIST, but from what you have said from your results, I guess it doesn't get any better than that.

And also good to hear that the onc was happy with Teddy's attitude and mental outlook. Hopefully he will not need the codeine when you are both in Milwaulkee and that you can both enjoy your trip there. Make sure that the next time you go to the office that Teddy treats you good!

My best wishes to you and Teddy,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Dear Lainy,

Since my Dad was diagnosed with CC I have read many of your posts and I just want to say how much I admire your attitude and outlook on life. You and Teddy are truely an inspiration.  And I hope that my Dad will become a miracle man like Teddy is too. 

Positive attitude in my opinion is one of the goals to beating this, my Dad is doing really well considering that when he was first diagnosed the doctors said he had a few months tops without treatment, well the few months have gone and he's still here going about his day to day life as usual.  We have hit a blip with his stent needing unblocking just has chemo was about to start but his attitude is "there's always someone worse off than you" and "this won't beat me".

I'm so pleased you had great news.  Enjoy your holiday, you both deserve it.

Best wishes to you both and your family

Devoted Daughter to the most wonderful Dad a girl could ask for.  Sadly lost his battle on 19.02.11, peacefully in the arms of Mom and I.  As requested by Dad "we will keep on smiling".

Hi Andie, and thanks a lot. We always try to be Realistically Optimistic. Teddy has now developed a "dark" sense of humor. I don't want to write some of his humor as it may offend someone but I have to say he IS funny. We laugh as much as we can. He will walk in to the kitchen and start dancing with me. He is getting his house in order so to speak, not that he is worse yet, but that's how he does things. It also keeps him busy. So between us we have 26 kids and grandkids and he has separated everything and put it all in baggies with names inside the bags. Taking it all to Milwaukee to disperse. Anyway he asked me what is he going to give me? I said MEMORIES!
Your dad will do fine with a good attitude. That attitude sure helps the Care Giver as well. Tell him Teddy and I expect to add him to the list of Miracles.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

WOW how lovely to have all those children and grandchildren.

I have told Dad he will beat this and he is a fighter so I know he won't give up, he has the right attitude.  Even when we have bad news and set backs we manage to see a bright side even though it's hard sometimes.

Like Teddy, Dad is getting the house and garden in order.  He feels well enough to do it and it is helping to pass his time as he has taken early retirement.  Something both my Mom and Dad had looked forward to but unfortunately not under these circumstances.

Mom is finding it hard having Dad at home full time, she said she misses her me time.  It's a no win situation because if I say come out with me, Dad wants to come too, and Mom won't tell him she wants time on her own as she doesn't want to upset him.  I'm sure they will soon sort it out and settle into a new routine.

Best wishes to you, Teddy and your family

Devoted Daughter to the most wonderful Dad a girl could ask for.  Sadly lost his battle on 19.02.11, peacefully in the arms of Mom and I.  As requested by Dad "we will keep on smiling".

Oh my gosh, Andie, exactly....the shadow bit. I have had a shadow for a couple of years now. I can't even go to the grocery store alone. Where ever I am in the house Teddy checks on me. If you knew Teddy he NEVER lived his life that way.
It must be horrible to feel the way they do. Don't tell your mom but this is the way it is going to be. I look forward to T going to Mass each morning. On the other hand I no longer want to be away from him either, as each moment we have together is a memory and a blessing.

Shadow, yes that's what my Mom now has.  Like Teddy he is constantly checking what she is up to and offering to go to the local shops, something he would never have done before but I suppose he just wants to get out of the house too.  He must miss his work life so much even though he used to moan about it.  I feel sorry for both of them and feel so helpless at times.

Mom was upset yesterday because Dad has to go back in hospital to have his stent unblocked and like you she doesn't want to be away from him even though he is driving her mad at the minute.  I keep saying to myself at least he is well enough to want to do these things, time to worry is when he isn't, and I'm sure deep down Mom would agree.

Saying all this though he is certainly getting on with the house and garden, something she's nagged at him for years to do!!

Take care and best wishes to both you and Teddy

Lainy,
Great news on your PET scan. I cant believe I missed this post earlier. I too am getting my house in order and my jewelry is bagged up and alloted...which makes it difficult because it is now harder to find. But it is one more thing Hans doesnt have to worry about.

I too am a "shadow". Cant help it. It is SO BORING being home with little to do or the energy to do it. I met with my psychologist again today and she is relieved my sister is here to occupy me to give my sweet Hans a much needed break from me. I used to work 2 jobs, write a PhD and take care of the home and hang out with friends at the same time. Now, I sit in bed and nap and get winded walking down the stairs to the laundry. So I live through Hans. Cant help it. My body has betrayed me, but not my mind and it is frustrating to be so limited. But I do take pity on all the carers who become our sole focus. It must be sufficating.

Have a wonderful time visiting family.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Thank-you Kris, as usual you put a different and good twist on the "shadow". You are so right!
Glad to hear the cake turned out.
Teddy's sister was here for 5 days but instead of giving me relief, its taking care of 2 people. My problem as I don't ANYONE but Robin (daughter) work my kitchen. When I start letting people in to my kitchen world I have more work to do. ENJOY your sister's visit!

Lainy,

So glad to hear of your good news!  I like the "shadow" reference.  It made me smile about my own behavior.  I don't know how my family deals with me sometimes, but we all get through it.

Linda Z.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."