Topic: Is it truly "Its the thought that counts"?

Tomorrow is my last day of radiation and I finished my chemo yesterday. I wanted to bake a lemon cake for the oncology nurses who have been so good to me (and had to deal with my HORRIBLE Swedish). Problem...I used a new recipe and baked in a silicone cake mold for the first time. I swear I toothpicked the cake and it came out clean, but when I removed the cake from the pan, it doesnt have that nice golden coloring and I am not sure it is done. Do you get a golden color in a silicone cake pan?

Do I give the cake anyway and pray that it is done and tastes ok? OR do a scrap it and just give a big smile tomorrow? Dont have time to make another one since it is 1045 pm and I have my appointment is at 830 in the morning. So is it really the thought that counts, or doesnt that apply to food?

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Re: Is it truly "Its the thought that counts"?

Kris,, I have a great idea. Stop on the way and get donuts!!!!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Of course it's the thought that counts...but cake counts more !!  Well, at least in my book it does wink
In my experience the silicone moulds do not give you the same colour as a normal cake tin as they do not heat up in the same way.  If you toothpicked it then it will be fine and I am sure that the nurses will be truly touched that you have made the effort to thank them in this way.
You will not be the only one smiling tomorrow smile
Jemima

We ended up with enough batter to make 2 cakes, neither of them browned but we tasted one and it was delish! So decorated the lemon cake with glaze and strawberries and started to head out the door to my last radiation appointment when the phone rings. The radiation machine broke so I couldnt have my treatment today. We have to call tomorrow and see if it is fixed and if so, I will get treatment then. I hope I am not the first patient on the machine after it is fixed. Let them experiment on somebody else.

We decided to bring the cake in despite the cancelled radiation. The nurses were so happy. It made me feel good.

Disappointed that I did not get radiation. I had really psyched myself up over it being the last treatment. I guess one more day doesnt really matter.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Kris,

The cake was really a nice idea.  And about the "non-appointment" and delaying radiation....you have waited so long so far, I would say (if it were me) one more day wouldn't be too bad!  But there would be a lot to pay for if it was more than 1 day!

Hang in there and good luck for tomorrow.

Linda Z.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."