Topic: Watch what you steal or it will watch you

In today's paper I had read that a man rode a bicycle up to a woman, snatched her iPhone out of her hands, and then pedaled away.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle:
"Problem was, the woman was carrying the phone as part of a company's demonstration of a real-time GPS tracking program. If the bandit had taken a peak at the screen, he would have seen himself traveling across a map of San Francisco."
It did not take much for the police to catch the thief.  In fact, it took all of 10 minutes.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Watch what you steal or it will watch you

Hi Marion,

Thanks for sharing this piece! No doubt the company providing the GPS system will be using this incident to show just how effective their system really is! I guess that money can't buy that sort of publicity in a marketing sense! What a silly bandit!!

I hope all is well with you?

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi Gavin....I am doing well.  Thank you for asking.  I thought that this was a funny story.  What are the odds for someone to grab a phone, which is clearly defining the path taken?  Bad luck?
Best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi Marion,

Glad all is well. Yes this is indeed a funny story! And very bad luck for the bandit to steal that phone at that exact moment. The odds for that to happen would be very high indeed! Still, he got what he deserved and hopefully he won't be stealing any more phones in the future!

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

I liked this story Marion, and would have liked to have seen his face if he actually looked at the phone and saw the map.

Just as a side, I wanted to let those (at least in the U.S.-don't know about elsewhere) know that if you have a cell phone stolen, and it is turned on, the phone can be "pinged" to send out a signal to your carrier to locate it.  I should say that at least in Illinois it can.  Now it may need some other crime to be involved such as being stolen FROM someone's person and not just lost or from a car.  I work for a police dept and we had an employee have her purse taken from her while she was walking.  Her phone was in her purse, turned on.  We had the phone pinged which located a cell tower that it was near.  It gave an approximate location which was a gas station, and the purse was located in the back seat of the thief's car.  Part technology and part luck since the thief stopped at the gas station and wasn't moving down a road somewhere.  He was very surprised that he was "discovered"

Linda

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Great information, Linda.  In today

That'll teach the thief.  Or at least I hope it will.

Rick

Ulcerative Colitis 1990, Stage 0 colon cancer and subsequent colectomy with J-pouch in 7/2005, PSC 7/2005, Klatsin CCA 8/2009