Topic: Confusion NOT due to ammonia?

I tried the "Search" function at the top, but there are so many posts to comb through... 

My Mom has been on home hospice since Friday for her CC recurrence.  Yesterday afternoon and today she's talking as if very confused, and some nonsense sentences.  She's no where near constipated, actually having loose stools about once a day, so it's probably not ammonia.

She is not yet jaundiced although her bilirubin was 1.6 last week, high for the first time in her life.  She has no stents or anything else like that.  She's taking oxycodone for knee and back pain, which she's taken in the past, and ativan for when she feels antsy.  So there's really nothing new as far as medication.

In anyone's experience here, what else can cause confusion?  Is it just the progession of the CC?

~Kim
my mother lost her 16 month battle with CC 9/26/10
"Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined."

Re: Confusion NOT due to ammonia?

Hydration, potassium and glucose could also be culprits.One of my personal speculations (and I am not a physician) is that since alzheimer's is caused by an excess protein, and that protein is broken down and flushed by the brain and liver, if the liver isn't functioning, it seems that could cause an excess thus leading to Alzheimer's symptoms.

My father had the same issue before he passed away. It is so frustrating for the patient and the family. I can empathize. We checked all of the above and never really solved the problem.

Urinary tract infections can also cause problems in older adults.

hang in there! 
Hugs to you and your Mom!
Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

kimmie.....I am sorry to hear about your Mom's confusion.  Kimmie, I have learned that constipation not always accompanies hepatic encephalopathy.  Only a blood test could rule out high ammonia levels. 
By entering "hepatic encephalophathy" in the google function on our site, immediate postings will pop up. 
I am hoping for things to improve real soon.
All my best wishes are coming your way,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER