Topic: Tips 'n Tricks for Leg Cramps & Constipation

All:

Just thought I'd post this as these are things that help my husband Tom for Leg Cramps and Constipation.

Severe Leg Cramps:

If your loved one who has CC experiences severe leg cramps this may be of help.

1) Place dryer sheets under the bottom sheet where the calves of the legs would be when sleeping.  About 8 - 10 of them laid out, then place the bottom sheet over them.  Don't know why, but it works to eliminate them.  Tom used to experience them about every 3 days, now after using the dryer sheets he only has them maybe 1x a month.  Change the dryer sheets each time you change out the bed linens or at least every week.

2)  When / if experiencing those pain wrenching leg cramps, the CC patient is usually in such pain that you can't even touch the leg to try to massage the cramp out, so what we use are hot/wet towels.  I run hot water over towels (as hot as my hands can stand) then wring them out, place each one in a plastic bad, then wrap the affected leg with the plastic covered towel, (being careful not to burn the patient)  You may have to place a thinner dry towel over the leg first.  The keep replacing the hot towels until the cramp subsides.  (Generally within 5 - 10 minutes)  It's a lot of running back and forth from the patient to the sink, but IT WORKS.  I have been doing this for Tom for the past year, and these are the ONLY things that we have found that work for his severe leg cramps!  (Don't laugh, try them both)

Constipation:

Many CC patients suffer from constipation, and moreso if they are on painkillers!

Tom has tried colace, milk of magnesia, miralax....etc. and NONE of them were effective!

I then remember that one of my grandchildren suffered from severe constipation as a very young child and one of the things we gave her to 'help her go' was pear juice!

So off to the store goes I and the search for pear juice begins....well you can't find it in the regular juice section of the store, so go to the baby section, where they have diapers, baby food, etc.  And you WILL find PEAR JUICE.

Have your constipated CC patient drink one 4 - 8 oz glass of pear juice every day and like clockwork, they WILL be able to go to the bathroom!  Don't know why it works, or how it works, but it does!  Tom has been constipation free for the past two weeks since he started drinking pear juice (before that he suffered terribly from constipation with nothing relieving it)  This also works for young children all the way to adults/seniors.  For young children, be careful not to give them too much (no more then 3 - 4 ozs daily) or you will have the opposite of constipation!

Hope these tips 'n tricks help others out there!

Margaret

Re: Tips 'n Tricks for Leg Cramps & Constipation

Thanks Margaret....excellent advise.  Would you be so kind as to repost this in the "Side effects" section"?   We don't want to loose great information such as this.
Thanks
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER