Topic: Gavin - are you snowed in??

Hi Gavin,

Been watching the news and the snow in Scotland looks pretty bad.  My son would have hated sleeping at school, those poor children. Also the people stranded on the M8 sad

Have you been able to get out and get your Moms bread?  I was thinking of you when I took my Mom shopping friday.  The people were buying bread as if it was going out of fashion.  Luckily we haven't been to badly effected, we had a heavy fall of snow Friday night.  We had freezing fog Sunday and yesterday.  It is still very cold but it does seem to be melting the last of the snow.  Our main problem is ice.

Take care

Andrea

Devoted Daughter to the most wonderful Dad a girl could ask for.  Sadly lost his battle on 19.02.11, peacefully in the arms of Mom and I.  As requested by Dad "we will keep on smiling".

Re: Gavin - are you snowed in??

Hi Andie,

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. It is absolutely freezing her just now. We had more snow on Monday although not as bad as those in the central belt did, and we have had snow on the ground here for about 2 weeks. I saw on the news yesterday those that were snowed in their cars around the M8, M80 and M74, and it just seemed like chaos. The M80 is especially bad right now as there are major roadworks going on there and will be for the next few years, and Ive been stuck in traffic there a few times on the way to Blackpool!

The main roads in Dundee and around here are open, but the side roads, they are just a nightmare still, no gritters and no snowploughs. And the temps here are not getting above freezing during the day so this snow is not melting at all. One of the biggest problems we have right now is that the rain gutters are starting to fall off of the buildings here so when we walk on the pavements, you have to have one eye on what is in front of you and one eye on what is above. When the snow that has build up on the roofs of the buildings starts coming down, it is bringing down the rain gutters with it along with any sattelite dishes that get in its way. This has happened to about 10 buildings in my area lately and walking on the pavements is not recommended! The fire brigade here has also been out trying to knock down some of the icicles that are hanging from the buildings as some of them are huge and this is very dangerous also.

And getting bread is still hard, people are still panic buying which is ridiculous and milk is also getting harder to find. I had my first fall of this winter today. Someone walking behind me slipped and fell into me bringing me down as well, but it could have been worse, a sturdy pair of boots is definitely required here! Glad to hear that you have not got it as bad as we do, but I could bring you down a load of it if you want!! It's meant to warm up by the weekend, so maybe it will get above freezing during the day!!

And this is just the start of trhe winter here!

You take care as well, stay warm.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

I saw this video on our local news here tonight and it shows exactly why I hate walking on the pavements right now! This sort of thing is happeneing all over my area right now. Most of the buildings round here are taller than the one in this video, and you certainly do not want to be caught under this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyy11fVvMsU

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Oh Gavin,

That is hilarious, but I can see the potential danger there.  You definately do not want to get caught under that!  Keep your eyes on the sky!  smile

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hi Darla,

I do like that clip, hilarious as you say! But yes there is potential danger there as well, especially so as the buildings around my way are more than double the size of the building in the clip. So for me when I am out and about, it is one eye on the street to deal with the snow and ice, and my other eye is firmly focussed on what is hanging from the roofs! It's safer to walk down the road rather than use the pavements!!!

Gavin

Thanks for the laugh, Gavin.  Certainly, this is one way of clearing the roof.  Glad you did not stand below, on the sidewalk?

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER