Topic: Off to Germany for treatment

In the morning, Hans and I are headed to a clinic outside of Frankfurt where they practice hyperthermia. Basically they are going to heat up my tumor and why it is weak (and hopefully in partial death from the heat) they are going to give me chemo. This will hopefully attack the tumor stronger. There was another treatment at the hospital in Frankfurt that I was interested in, but I am too weak so my oncologist said no. We will see if perhaps this treatment will work enough so I dont need anything more.

So it is a long day tomorrow. Leave Kalmar by train  at 8 am to copenhagen then fly to frankfurt and arrive at 4 pm. Got the good drugs packed so perhaps I will not remember this journey!

I will be gone 20 days so my log on will be spotty. So take care and have a wonderfuol service Lainy.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Re: Off to Germany for treatment

Kris,

Many thoughts and prayers are with you on your journey and stay at Frankfurt. 

Sounds like a good idea, not remembering.  The long trip would make anyone very tired.

Kathy

Dear Kris,

Wishing you and Hans a safe and successful journey.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs

Andrea x

Devoted Daughter to the most wonderful Dad a girl could ask for.  Sadly lost his battle on 19.02.11, peacefully in the arms of Mom and I.  As requested by Dad "we will keep on smiling".

Prayers for you and Hans for your journey and that the treatment will be successful.

Many, many positive thoughts and good wishes go with you, Kris.

Helen xx

6 (edited by JenniferS Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:08:57)

Good luck Kris, I hope the treatment is a great success!  I will be thinking and praying for you and Hans during the holiday season!!  Safe travels!

Jen

Kris and Hans, loads of thoughts and prayer and much good luck going out to you!!!  Love YOU!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Good luck Kris.  I hope the journey goes smoothly and sending you positive thoughts for the treatment.
Take care of yourself and Hans

Jemima

Kris and Hans,

Good luck on your journey.  I will be hoping for everything to go well.  I will be thinking of both of you.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hi Kris,

Best of luck to you in Germany.  I have also been looking into some European centers and was excited to hear about stereotactic radiofrequency ablation being done in Innsbruck, Austria by Dr. Reto Bale.  They have done some bigger studies and look like they have some great preliminary results---159 patients treated, 12 with tumor recurrence (10 underwent a second ablation and are now tumor free), and Dr. Bale is able to treat tumors >10 cm in radius with the stereotactic technique.

Maybe I'm getting excited about nothing---have read a couple of papers, but no one does this in the US yet.  Did you hear about this or consider it?

Again, best of luck to you--my prayers are with you.

jebbenl.....there are centers in the US performing RFA.  Where are you located?
Best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Kris,

Here is hoping Leroy gets good and uncomfortable and finds it all too hot to handle! When you are done there you can come to Chicago and we can freeze him out just to cover all the bases! It sounds like you will have a German kind of Christmas, hope you and Hans are able to enjoy it in the midst of all this.

Patty

I'm not sure where to post my question so I hope I'm not butting in. My wife had a CT scan monday, talked to the Dr. before chemotherapy today and the scan showed ascites. Dr. didn't seem to be to concerned about it and went ahead with chemo. Our oldest daughter did a little research and her information makes me feel we should be concerned. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.    Tommy

Hi Marion,

I know that most places in the US do RFA, but they only do it using CT or ultrasound guidance, which means that the maximum tumor size they can typically ablate is 5 cm.  The new stereotactic technique combines 2D and 3D CT imaging, allowing interventional radiologists to ablate much larger tumors--some that are even larger than 10 cm.  I talked to a bunch of IRs in the US about the procedure--most thought this was the future, but thought that it is currently too expensive/resource intensive to do before more studies come out.

Tommy...No, you are not butting in because, navigating this site seems a bit confusing at first.  But, if you so care to do and can't find the right place to put out your question or a comment, you can always use the: General Discussion" link. 
From what I have learned, ascities may very well recede with the application of the chemotherapy.  So, I agree.  Go with your Doc and try to relax. Good luck.
Best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Thank You so much Marion. Tommy

Kris--
You inspire me.  Ever since I first came to this site, reading your posts helped me a great deal--made me smile or gave me valuable information or lifted me up a bit out of that deep, awful black hole
I am almost on the other side of the world from you and at times I think of you and wonder how you are and send you my hope.

Lesley.

good luck... and a safe trip...

moontje

Lots of love and positive, healing light coming your way, Kris,xxxx
Michelle

"My dad, Tony, passed away on 4 October 2010, after a 19 month battle with CC"   - I carry you in my heart, Dad, forever.

Best of luck, Kris! Blast Leroy to oblivion smile Safe journey

Janet

Kris,

I so hope that this works and that they can stick it to Leroy big time! I'm thinking of you and sending you a load of positive thoughts across the North Sea your way.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Kris:

Best of luck to you and the worst of luck to 'Leroy' and I certainly hope this treatment knocks him on his A**!  Tell Hans that Leroy has to GO NOW!

Hugs,
Margaret

So we've arrived at "Fachklinik Dr Herzog"! It seems a bit strange, but we're starting to find our way around it

The train ride and flight went well. Kris threw up three times on the train, but very discreetly, like the Southern Belle she is. Other than that it wwas tiering but uneventful, dispite bad weather.

The hospital is a strange mix of a country side hotel (not unlike Fawlty Towers) and hospital. All beige and terracotta colours and tacky decoration, and is as badly organized as Frankfurt Airport... Everyone is very helpfull, but no one gives you any information, and there is much confusion. The hospital seems to have been built in the 60s, but with so narrow passages and so many different levels, stairs, ramps etc that it must have been something else originally. The village is tiny, but private medicine is evidently its main industry, with three private hospitals and a number of smaller doctors offices.

But we've had blood drawn, had an ultra sound and some infusions, and the first local hyperthermia treatment - without any chemo until blood work is back (also some magnetic therapy, which we are less enthused about, as it seems complete mumbo jumbo). And we've seen Prof. Doktor Med. Herzog who turns out to be a tall, lean, serious but kindly man with silver hair worn long hippie style, who seemed rather amused that we had brought our own wheight in medicins (as we had been missinformed that we would be billed separately for medicine, which turns out not to be the case).

Kris is doing pretty well, but she is quite week and she was sick a lot today. We are worried about the amount of blood in the vomit and drain. If her blood values go down it could scuttle the chemo plans...

Give my love to Kris....and hugs to you too, Hans.  We love you both - Nancy

Mother of John who lost his battle on Oct. 9, 2009 at age 30....

Thanks for the update, Hans.  So glad to hear that you and Kris have arrived safely and that things are beginning.  Please give my love and lots of positive thoughts to Kris ...

Helen xx