Topic: Caregivers

I don't see a board on here just for caregivers. I would love a forum where I can vent / ask questions w/o worrying that I would offend the person with CC. I care for my mother in law and it is at times very overwhelming.

Thank you for all that you have done here. It all helps!

Lily

Re: Caregivers

A BRAVO idea!  When things start getting too sensative some of us do mark it SENSATIVE. But a stellar idea.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Wonderful idea!

Lost my mom and my best friend on Jan 4, 2011

Lily,

A separate listing for caregivers to vent is a great idea and would probably be a a link I would not visit.  I am the patient and it's true that sometimes I become a little offended with caregivers venting about their horrible lot.  I know it's not easy being a caregiver, but they will go on while the story is different for us patients.

The only problem I see with this is the wealth of information we receive from caregivers.  They are often the ones to do the research and have suggestions on what to do to improve our quality of life.  I would hate to have a caregivers' only forum where they answered questions, exchanged ideas and felt very free to slam the patient when he/she is becoming hard to deal with.

If it could be a place to just vent on how difficult it is to be a caregiver and not exchange care-giving information, that would be great!  Just not sure how that can happen.  I personally would not want to loose the information I obtain from caregivers.

Kathyb - that's a great point about sharing information. I also would like to clarify that by "vent" I did not mean about the patient, I meant about fears and feelings around declining health of the loved one and or possible death. I don't feel comfortable talking about those things in front of the person it would be affecting because I understand that I am on the easy end of this stick. I am sorry for the confusion.

Cancer centers actually have seperate support groups for the patient and the caregiver. There are no groups near me.... They believe it is good for each side to have a place.  But I do see that people mark there posts "sensitive" so I can just do that.

Thank you.

Lily,

Caregivers need to talk to other caregivers who understand first hand what they may be feeling.  I also realize that a caregiver can become so stressed with the situation they get angry with the one they're caring for (sometimes deserved and sometimes not).  It doesn't mean anyone is a bad person, just human.

Hope I haven't offended you.  I realize I get offended when a caregiver acts like they are the one most victimized by cc. (It's a very very rare thing on this board, but it has happened.)  It's that victim feeling that bothers me.  This is my problem and I need to have more mercy and not be so judgmental. 

You are evidently a beautiful person to care for your mother-in-law.  Must be an angel.  Don't neglect taking care of yourself.  You have a great idea.

God bless you.

Kathy

I would also like to add that we have our very own Dr. Giles, who will always answer your questions and help guide you along.  You can find him:
top bar,
patient support,
Dr. Giles.
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER