Topic: ammonia levels

Anyone out there have any other "help" for bringing ammonia levels down besides lactulose? I have been increasing the dose of Doug's lactulose but it's not bringing the ammonia levels down. His other blood work is good (well good for a cc patient). Thanks all. Nancy

Loving my husband from afar.

2 (edited by marions Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:14:46)

Re: ammonia levels

Hi Nancy.....although, some of the information offered by Wikipedia has been disputed I do however, continue to find it an informational site.  You might want to take a look at this link and scroll down to treatment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatic_en … #Treatment. Of coure, only your physician will be able to determine the treatment choices available.
Hopefully others will come along and share some of their thoughts also.
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

3 (edited by mlepp0416 Thu, 14 Apr 2011 05:51:14)

Nancy:

When my Tom had high amomnia levels, his doctors said that lactulose is the only medication that would bring that level down.  Luckily for him it worked and he only had to take it for about two weeks.

Sorry I have no other suggestions on that.

Margaret

Hi,
As always,consult your doctor for advice first;the following is for informational purpose only.

The normal dose for lactulose in treating hepatic encephalopathy is 30-45ml three to four times daily by mouth; if necessary ,hourly doses of the same may be given until a laxative effect is induced;once  a laxative effect has been established,dosage should be reduced to produce 2-3 loose stools daily.
Rectal dosage mostly reserved for coma patient- dilute 300ml of lactulose in 700ml water administered via rectal enema and retained for 30-60min;may repeat every 6 hours as needed;oral therapy should replace rectal as soon as possible.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Thanks for your help! Hugs. Nancy

Loving my husband from afar.

Hi Nancy,

I found this link that may be of interest to you.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency … 000302.htm

It mentions Rifaximin which is also mentioned in the Wikipedia link that Marion gave you. Perhaps that is something that you can discuss with Doug's doctors alongside the Lactulose?

My best wishes to you and Doug,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.