Topic: Suggestions for nutrition needs after resection & ways to cook chinese
I had liver resection for 8hrs in 2009,everything was fine,out of the hospital in five days. I lost about 20 lbs. and regained 30lbs later(in about 4-6months period). I had a 2nd resection three weeks ago too.I tried to provide at least 2000cal/day for my recovery.
This part was a reprinted message.
1. give your father Carnation breakfast drink (200-300cal/can)1 can in the morning in addition to what you have done for his calorie intake.(ie;oakmeal,OJ)
2.Give another can of Ensure or similar protein drinks in high calories(360 cal/can) any flavor. any time in the afternoon;between lunch and dinner time.
3. encourage him to eat vegetables and fruits(peel of the skin) ,different colors,banana(high potassium);blue berry and the like(high antioxidant) orange & (4-6servings/day minimum) ;in addition to the regular meals. eat less or no red meat ,more fish.
4.Drink enough fluids(2500-3000ml/day)to keep hydrated unless told otherwise.
5. Keep walnut on the kitchen counter or anywhere as a snack he can eat whenever he wants to. It is a good protein source.
6. Do not use regular sugar, white bread and white rice;but whole grain cereals and pasta are fine.
with regard to regular meals ,try to make Asian dishes.;like stir fry vegetables of sliced ba choy,chinese cabbage or just cabbage,brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli and different kinds of mushrooms,tomato , onion and peas (buy them in the frozen section if you can,they are fresher and don't need to wash );chop to bite size of different kind of fish and chicken without growth hormone(Purdue chicken).
The method of simple Chinese cooking.(a rice cooker under 8 dollar is a good investment;a small size(10-12inch diameter wide of a Chinese wok is recommended,but not required(you can do steam cooking with wok too ).
1.Use peanut or olive oil,put one-2 tsp. intoa stainless steel pan or chinese wok. medium heat the oil till see smoke coming out then add a dash or two of ginger powder or 2 ginger slices to the oil;then add the veggie and stir fry them ,cover them for a couple minute and set aside;(you can try to add tumeric and thyme to try out too)
2.then do the same but using garlic powder for meat(fish is better) for CC patient instead;cook and stir fry the meat(you can use tofu cut into cubes to replace meat) till they are almost done then add back the vegetable and add salt or soy sauce to taste. it takes 5-10 min to make for one dish of stir fry veggie with meat-easy cooking and cheap.
3. When you order chinese food outside;please remind them to use LESS oil.
Ma poo to fu,(spicy); chicken with curry sause (spice), steamed fish with ginger and green onion chopped and put on the top; sweet and sour soup;stir fry vegitable with fish or chicken;my all time favorite is stir fry bitter melon with black bean source and fish;(warning:it required a special taste buds to try it;not to mention like it or love the taste of it.)
4.The Golden rule of Chinese cooking is ADD chopped ginger and chopped green union(you can use chopped scallions) to vegetable;and chopped Garlic and/or green union to meat;if the meat is fish ,add a couple slice of ginger.
5.And the PROPORTION of veggie to meat is 3 to 1 for most of us CC patient.
6. Prefer to eat with brown rice;but if white rice is provided,just eat less.or you can eat with pasta or noodles made with whole or multi-grains instead.
6.the method of cooking rice is in the instruction booklet of the rice cooker.
good luck ;try to eat less of the western style meals instead.It will be much healthier.
5.Of another note ,one patient of lung cancer,stage IV, 6 month to live claimed that he change his diet to 70% of vegetable and 30% of just fish.and he just take IRESSA (Gefitinib) for 3 years and he is now back to work and enjoy life in Taiwan after treatment in Singapore.
Besides the diet ,he contributed his recovery to positive attitude to fight the cancer;excellent caregiver-his wife and friends to provide knowledge and information(social networking).
Last edited by PCL1029 (Today 07:19:38)