Topic: anniversary

As of Sunday Dec 18, I have been cancer free for fifteen years. As I am writing this it seems unreal but it was Dec 18 1996 when I had my resection so I know it's real. No one expected this outcome. I will never forget the surgeons face the morning after surgery. He looked so troubled telling me the results of the surgery that I felt sorry for him. He told me they were not able to get all of the tumor and I would begin chemo and radiation as soon as I healed from surgery. I was amazed at the sense of peace I felt in the face of grim news. I knew that God would be with me no matter where it went from here. So I was prepared for the worst but believed for the best. It has not been without a few bumps along the road. There were several times that symptoms and scans indicated a recurrance only to have the biopsies to come back negative. And the bumps continue - I spent the anniversary in Swedish Medical Center with another one of those darned cholangitis attacks. I told friends and family that I was going into Club Swede for my annual pre-Christmas spa treatment. I wanted to look my best for Christmas. Well, I didn't get a pedicure or a facial but I did have a very attractive young lady squirt a warm oozy liquid on my bare belly and rub it around - OK, so it was an ultra sound. Can't an old man dream? The ultra sound found no stricture so the docs are confused as to the cause of the infection. I've decided to let that be their problem. I am home today, feeling good and preparing for an early Christmas dinner with some of the family. I sincerely pray that your Christmas will be spent with your most treasured people and that you will recognize the gift of God: Eternal life in Christ Jesus.

So... to all of my CC friends, Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year! Prayers from me to you.

bob

Re: anniversary

Bob, you are truly our "Poster Boy" and you are a Miracle and I hope your post brings lots of hope to everyone!
I wish for you and Donna a  Wonderful Christmas and a Healthier New Year!
P.S. CONGRATULATIONS on this very special Anniversary!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Bob
Well done ......you are an inspiration.

I am 1.5 years cancer free but I worry about recurrence a lot.  How have you dealt with the psychological effects ?

Gerry

Thank you for sharing your story and your faith.  Praise be to God.

Bob, What a superman you are! 
Merry Christmas to you as well!  Keep the good news coming?

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Congratulations Bob. What a miracle you are. Happy Holidays.

-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Bob, wow!!! You are an inspiration!

I copied and forwarded your post to my wife. It will be the first thing she reads tomorrow morning. She had positive margins after her Whipple... she NEEDS to hear your story.

Merry Christmas to you. Best Wishes in the New Year!!!

Hi Gerry,
The only time I really experienced fear or anxiety was just before doctor appointments. Someone here rightly referred to that as "scanciety". The rest of the time I tried my best to live my life without allowing the CC to live in my head by trusting that God would treat me fairly no matter the outcome. Peace came from Him. Afterall, we really have no control and worry bears no good fruit. The good news is that you have completed 1 and a half years. Do that 9 more times and you too will have 15 years...

God Bless!
bob

Congratulations, Bob.  You are our poster child.  A happy Holiday to you and your wife.
All my best wishes,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Bob, love your story AND your outcome!  Fifteen years and counting ... WOW!  Truly an inspirational message of hope for those that think there's none.

Merry Christmas and many Happy New Year's ...

Jim
Hospitals/Doctors Link,  Our Experiences:  http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=3126  See page 4 of thread for Dr. Tomoaki Kato info.
Major USA Cancer Centers:  http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/majorcancercenters.htm

Thank you for posting, Bob:
I am so glad to hear your news. Not about the fact that you still have "scanxiety" but that 15 years ago you had your surgery and you are still going strong!
It is postings like this that keep us going. I loved reading your news.
I myself am looking forward to being able to say "cancer free". And I WILL love to add a number before those words as the years progress.
Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year! May 2012 be good to you and your family.
Kris

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Congratulations, Bob!!!!  Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

Susie

Bob...What terrific news....your post has given so much hope to so many including myself! Its a reminder that you must have faith and hope..have a very Merry Christmas!
Nancy

I just had my resection in October, I am wondering how big Bobs tumor was?
Mine was very big. 16cm and they say that the bigger the tumor the greater the chance for reoccurance, Prayer, eating right and thats all I can do

Nick

Hello Nick and welcome to our amazing family! Congratulations on already being a CC survivor! Can you tell us a little more about yourself? Where was your surgery done and did you have clean margins? Did they give you a follow up plan? I have not heard that the bigger the tumor the greater chance for recurrance. My suggestion would be to read up as much as you can as knowledge is the most powerful tool you can have for fighting CC. I would also suggest you repost your introduction under Introductions as I would hate to see you get lost on this longer thread. You have come to the right place and we hope to hear more from you and about you.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Hi Nick,
I don't recall how large the tumor was nor have I heard of any relationship between the size of the tumor and recurrence. I believe that the more significant factor for long term survival is clear margins (which I didn't have). It is however very good news that you were a candidate for surgery. That alone improves your chances. May God grant you many healthy years...

God Bless!
bob

Hi Bob,

Congratulations on being a 15-yr. CC survivor.  I hope you have a very happy and healthy new year and many more years to come.

Hi Nick,

My husband's tumor was the size of a softball when he had a resection over three years ago.  Within six months he had multiple tumors appear.  He has been on chemo since March 2009.  He takes one day at a time and does as much as he can.  He keeps a positive attitude and is an inspiration to me.  Do all you can to win your fight with this terrible disease, because believe me, it is a fight.   Sending well wishes your way,  PeggyP

Hi, Marchoo

may i ask How old your are?
are you on any chemo after resection?
Do you know the date your were diagnosis.?
do you have a stent to put in?
Your answers will help us to understand this disease more
thanks.
God bless?

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Bob,
Congratulations on your 15 year anniversary!  Your story is remarkable.  I am however sorry to hear of your recent cholangitis attack.   I am still struggling with my bile duct issues.  The surgery in August doesn't seem to have worked. 

Hope you enjoy the holidays with your family and friends.

Betsy

Hi Betsy,
It is really good to hear from you! However, I'm sorry to hear that your surgery was not successful. Is there another procedure being considered? The way you have dealt with your duct issues is heroic... Maybe this new year will hold the answer. Prayers coming your direction,

bob