1 (edited by Lainy Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:49:52)

Topic: A Funny Thing Happened on the CC Journey

Time for some humor! I am sure that even with all the stress, nerves and anxiety CC .ORG Members have, a funny story is always somewhere to tell. Not sure why, but I woke up this morning thinking about this one and then this humor idea came to me. So please humor this old lady!
We were going for Teddy's first PET Scan. Got to the Hospital parking lot and there were no parking spaces except for 2 that had a BIG sign that read, "PETS". That is all it said. I told Teddy we can't park there as it must be for people bringing "Hosptial" pets to visit patients. So, we parked about 2 blocks away only to find it was for PET Scans....not pets. Well, it was funny at the time, guess you had to be there. What happened on your that made your journey chuckle.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: A Funny Thing Happened on the CC Journey

Lol big_smile  The one which springs to my mind, is my sister asking me to bring her a watering-can, which I correctly interpreted as meaning "cup of tea". The drugs confuse her so much, but I'm getting good at understanding her new cc-speak.

It's a confusing new reality we're living in.

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

When i was in the hospital with pancreatitis from the ERCP.  I was put on the neurology floor where most everyone but me had electrodes on their head for sleep studies. So that was pretty amusing to start with.  Then one night they brought in an elderly woman and she had a bed alarm because she was apparently getting out of bed a lot.  So, every time she got up (which was every 5 mins) the bed played "London Bridges falling Down" in bells.  It was maddening, but made me laugh as well.

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

OMGOSH! You are all so terriffic! Perhaps we could take this show on the road and call it, "Sick Humor". What a fund raiser!!! Life, even in bad moments can make us laugh. Good title, Liz.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

First, I must say we never miss an opportunity to laugh, whole family rolling in tears laughter. To us, a world without humor isn't worth living.

Some of my favorite moments from this journey:

Dad, in post anesthesia haze after his attempted resection, begged everyone who came in to sneak him a cheeseburger, asked my uncle to tell a story about dog poop on his shoes, and then later in the evening got mad at me for not giving him his phone, and when I finally gave in,he got so mad that no one sent his daily summary for his employees. I also got stuck on an elevator, and I'm the world's most claustrophobic person. The incidents may not sound funny, but I'm um...rather animated when I tell a story, so I had everyone laughing up there in oncology. It was such an awful time and I'm glad we also have those good memories.

Every appointment and procedure comes with some laughter on the side. big_smile

I have a lot of dark humor lately. But I did find it funny that my surgeon ordered a colonoscopy just to rule out colon cancer. The dr. gave me a clean bill of health and said he'd see me in 10 years. I just laughed at him.
He looked at me funny and I said Either I'd be in much sooner or never again. Left it at that. He knew my prognosis.
And my financial advisor is advising against me using a part of my retirement account for a dream vacation next year. I say "why not? I may as well use it!!"

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Kris, you go plan for that Dream Vacation. Any of us could have to cancel a vacation at any time for getting sick, that is why they sell Cancellation Insurance!
Wouldn't a Cruise be a wonderful mini CC convention? What is your dream vacation?

I want to take a 2 week motorcycle tour through Norway. They rent you BMWs and map out your route. You can go off on your own or stay with the tour guide. I might be doing this by myself so I guess I'll be bothering the tour guide!  big_smile
I have family in Norway, although they are 4th and 5th cousins, etc. and would love to see the land (and the farm) my great grandparents grew up in.
I was supposed to do this on my exhusband and my 5th wedding anniversary, but we never made it. Neither did the marriage. No loss there, except I didn't get to Norway...
Also would love to go to Hawaii. I've never been. That is the "quiet" choice in my bucket list.

Kris

KrisJ
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Kris, if Norway is too far I suggest the Hawaiian trip on a cruise. I am a retired travel consultant and did that for 40 years. When Teddy was in his 4th year of CC, his dream was to see Pearl Harbor. He was a big history buff and did his time in Korea. So we flew to Honolulu, boarded a ship and cruised the islands. While true we got an ordourve of each place at least he got to see that and Pearl Harbor. Cruising made it so much easier on him. I hope you make a plan and strive for it, with your attitude it will work. Another idea, come out here, you can stay with me and there are Harleys all over the place!!

Thanks Lainy, but I don't ride a Harley! I ride a sport touring bike...
And I could visit my nieces and great nieces and great nephews while I'm visiting you!  smile
I have to watch whatever vacation I decide to do, tho, because I will always have the pump to think about, so flying is harder...

KrisJ

I am very tenacious so....take a train!!! I misunderstood the Bike part, sorry. As if you couldn't stay here? Remember I took care of Teddy (mmmm maybe I shouldn't brag about that) just an option and guess I am trying to say I can help you have a vacation! Hey, do you know what part of Phoenix they live in? I am in Southeast PHX about 5 miles from Chandler.

Hi Gang! I totally forgot one more funny story with Teddy. This is Marions fave!
Teddy, in 6 years could not pronounce CC. We were out to dinner with another couple and the husband asked Teddy what his CC bracelet said, Teddy with firm conviction said, "Oh, that is my Cancer. It's called Angelo Carcinoma!" I thought to myself, leave it to Teddy to make his Cancer Sicilian,

Ha, ha. Thanks for bringing this up again, Lainy.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

This brought a cute (now, but not at the time) memory of my Tom.  One morning he was acting very strange.  He was talking about the most weird things, like we had to buy a birthday cake and I had to call a place to order a new bumper for his truck.  He was a smoker to the very end and could not even light a cig.  He was trying to light the pack of cigs that he was holding up to his mouth.  Totally abnormal for him, doing and saying weird things.

His amommia levels were very elevated and once they got that under control he returned to normal.

When we would go for rides, he would try to tell me the way to go (which I knew was wrong) so I'd go the way I knew was correct and he'd argue with me!  Once he realized I was correct he'd say "CHEMO BRAIN AGAIN"

Hugs,
Margaret