Re: port for chemo

Sorry to hear of the news, but it doesn't sound like they know what it is yet, so try not to worry prematurely.   I know, easier said than done.  That seems to be a typical response, the oncologist wants to observe and the surgeon wants to remove. Hopefully, the second opinion will help you make a decision. 

Take care,

Dear LeeAnn sorry about that but I would wait and see and I believe you are doing all the right things. Teddy had a 'cyst' on his right kidney forever and that is what it was a cyst. They just watched it. Best of luck and please keep us posted. I am wishing it to be just the cyst.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

My mom might get a port in the next week or two. Can I ask what the difference is between a port and a power port? And, how do you numb them before chemo? Thanks! -Melissa

I am not sure what the difference is, but my daughter has a power port. They give you a prescription for Lidocaine and you rub it on the area about an hour before the port is accessed. You then cover it with a piece of Saran Wrap or Press'n seal so it doesn't get all over your clothes. She is always really numb and doesn't feel anything.

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

It's  been a while since my last post.  I had a second biopsy done last March and turned out to be nothing which was a good news. However, my last CT shows "poorly defined soft tissue mass interposed between the pancreas and liver, suspicious for recurrent tumor(2.7x3.0x2.1cm). My surgeron and radiologist are not 100% sure if it is cancer tumor, but my ca19-9 is up again to 374. Because of  it's location, biopsy is not an option. As I mention before my ca19-9 has been rising since Jan. but nothing showed on CT,MRI so I was not on any chemo or radiation. 

Finally my onc and I decided it's time to do something.
She gave me 3 options.
option1-chemo Gem+cis
option2-chemo(oral pill)+radiation
option3-clinical trial (different hospital)

So I need your opinions on my choices.  I'm meeting with radiology onc today so I'm not sure what type of radiation treatment  I'm going to get, but my onc said if I decided to go with choice 2  I'll be getting lower dosage of chemo. 

I'm not sure which one is going to be the most effective and yet with less side effects. Any opionions?????

Thanks, LeeAnn

LeeAnn-Why aren't all 3 one option?? I had gemcidabene, 5FU, oral chemo and radiation all in one clinical trial. I am 3 years cancer free! I am not sure where you are bieng treated but you might talk to another oncologist for more info and another opinion.
Lots of prayers there is HOPE-Cathy