Re: port for chemo

LeeAnn,

Sorry to hear of the news, but it doesn't sound like they know what it is yet, so try not to worry prematurely.   I know, easier said than done.  That seems to be a typical response, the oncologist wants to observe and the surgeon wants to remove. Hopefully, the second opinion will help you make a decision. 

Take care,

Susie

Dear LeeAnn sorry about that but I would wait and see and I believe you are doing all the right things. Teddy had a 'cyst' on his right kidney forever and that is what it was a cyst. They just watched it. Best of luck and please keep us posted. I am wishing it to be just the cyst.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

My mom might get a port in the next week or two. Can I ask what the difference is between a port and a power port? And, how do you numb them before chemo? Thanks! -Melissa

I am not sure what the difference is, but my daughter has a power port. They give you a prescription for Lidocaine and you rub it on the area about an hour before the port is accessed. You then cover it with a piece of Saran Wrap or Press'n seal so it doesn't get all over your clothes. She is always really numb and doesn't feel anything.

-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Hi,
It's  been a while since my last post.  I had a second biopsy done last March and turned out to be nothing which was a good news. However, my last CT shows "poorly defined soft tissue mass interposed between the pancreas and liver, suspicious for recurrent tumor(2.7x3.0x2.1cm). My surgeron and radiologist are not 100% sure if it is cancer tumor, but my ca19-9 is up again to 374. Because of  it's location, biopsy is not an option. As I mention before my ca19-9 has been rising since Jan. but nothing showed on CT,MRI so I was not on any chemo or radiation. 

Finally my onc and I decided it's time to do something.
She gave me 3 options.
option1-chemo Gem+cis
option2-chemo(oral pill)+radiation
option3-clinical trial (different hospital)

So I need your opinions on my choices.  I'm meeting with radiology onc today so I'm not sure what type of radiation treatment  I'm going to get, but my onc said if I decided to go with choice 2  I'll be getting lower dosage of chemo. 

I'm not sure which one is going to be the most effective and yet with less side effects. Any opionions?????

Thanks, LeeAnn

LeeAnn-Why aren't all 3 one option?? I had gemcidabene, 5FU, oral chemo and radiation all in one clinical trial. I am 3 years cancer free! I am not sure where you are bieng treated but you might talk to another oncologist for more info and another opinion.
Lots of prayers there is HOPE-Cathy