Topic: Call me scooter girl

Hey, everyone. I want to post this in good news, but it's unrelated to cc. Well, mostly anyway.
Most of you know I'm a motorcycle mama, and many of you know I haven't ridden since last fall because I have a really really big motorcycle and I'm now afraid of the weight.
So yesterday I bought a used scooter. The price was right. The look, not quite but that's okay. It has a few too many scratches: was down on the right side. But it's a LOT lighter than my motorcycle and I'll be able to ride it with the neuropathy.
So I'm now a "scooter girl"!!! For those who are friends on FB, I posted a pic.
I'm gonna have some fun this spring/early summer before I have the resection!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Re: Call me scooter girl

Hey, "Scoot" sounds like fun to me. Can you decorate over the scratches somehow?
Funi Teddy story, but not really! When I met T he was learning to drive a huge White Harley. The kind only the police department use then they sell them to the Shrine and T was a Shriner. SO! We were 6 weeks out from our wedding and he was practicing manuevers and just standing stradling the bike. He was only about 5'5" and the bike fell over and broke his ankle and the mirror went through his right hand! Some friends called me to meet him at the hospital. I walked in the room and I guess I didn't look so well and he said to me, "I know, I am giving up the bike" and he did. I never said a word. Thank God for the Harley boots he had on or his dancing days would have been over. So, be very careful, Scoot but have fun!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy:
I've done the stupid "bike fell over on me" thing, too, but I got off with just a bruise to the bone in my ankle.
I've taken all the courses. Beginners to advanced.
I test rode the scooter and the guy was laughing at me because I wouldn't just take off. I checked the throttle, brakes, etc. before I "gingerly" rode around the block.
I'd rather be on the big bike, but this will do for now. Until after surgery and everything. Then I'll look for another motorcycle. I'm going to sell the big bike. I just don't think I'll ever feel comfortable on it again. I'm afraid since I don't have the abdominal muscles I will have trouble.
See?? I'm not THAT reckless!!!!! Maybe erring a little too much on the side of caution?? But I have to be comfortable, and the ST scares me now.
So I get to scoot around on this light, easy to handle scooter. It will keep up with the big boys so that's good. I can't wait to pick it up on Sunday.

KrisJ
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Hi Scooter Girl!

Sorry, couldn't resist! Thats great that you have a scooter now! But I'm guessing that it will take some getting used to considering that you are used to riding a large bike! As you say, it will do for now until you get on the bike again and I am sure that you will have a lot of fun with it!

I briefly went on 2 wheels when I was a teenager. Got my licence when I was 17 and my mum and dad got me a very small used motorbike, a Honda CD100N back in 1990. Wow did I think I was cool at the time! A whole 100cc of power.....ha! Still, it got me around and I loved it, even though I got soaked everytime it rained here! Came off it twice at very slow speeds and that sort of put me off bikes for good, maybe I should have taken proper riding lessons at the time!! Still, great times as a teenager. Enjoy your scooter, and yes, it will keep up with the big boys! Stay safe though!!

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Scoot, picture please when you are ready!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Yep Scooter Girl, like Lainy says, we need pictures, please!!

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Loved the pic! I wanna go for a ride! =P

~Tiffany~ 31 years young wink Fighting CC since 10-27-2011
Wife to Brian; Mommy to Carter (8) and Madison (4)
http://tiffanyschwantes.wordpress.com/
Liver transplant 7-9-2013

Kris,

I'm glad you found something that makes you happy. Just promise to be extra careful. We don't need any more setbacks for you!!

Lainy- as usual you managed to crack me up big time by calling Kris, Scoot. Just don't call her Scoots!! You guys are such a hoot.

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

9 (edited by kris00j Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:43:55)

Here's a link to my caringbridge blog. It has a pic of me from a few years ago on the ST. I'll post one of me on the scooter after I pick it up on Sunday. Or sometime soon after that. Have to get someone to take the pic! smile

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/krisjacobson/photos

To get an idea of how large the bike actually is, I'm 6'1".

And Gavin: I've taken lots of riding classes. But I've been down a few times. I've also been almost run off the road a time or two by cars with drivers that don't look. But I still love it.

KrisJ

I still don't know how to post pics on here. So here's the link again. I posted a pic of me and my new scooter. I picked it up yesterday and put about 80 miles on it. A little TOO much riding for the first day back out!
Oh, and before any of my "moms" yell at me, I didn't ride in this getup. It's JUST a picture... smile
Here's the link: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/krisjacobson/photos

KrisJ

Kris-Glad to see you back on a bike!! My husband and I love to ride so when I was diagnosed and was told I would need a transplant I decided to never ride again, because I felt it very irresponsable. Well, needless to say the more I felt like my old self the more I missed our rides. I mentally waited for my donors approval (I have never heard from them) and last summer decided to enjoy our "motorcylce memories" again. Jeff has rode" forever' and never "dropped' his bike., Jeff,myself and friends  started out  one morning on my maiden voyage and hadn't gone more than 5 miles when we stopped for breakfast (that is the purpose of riding!) and sure enough as we pulled into the parking spot, the bike started to go over. I tried to jump off, but lost my footing and fell bouncing my head off the pavement! That was a life changing moment, I had to decide if God's message was "see I warned you! or "see, look nothing happenned and you are OK!!!"!! I went with the latter and enjoyed my life as my donors would expect!!
Kris wear your helmet (duh!), be careful and keep making memories!!
Lots of prayers for you-cathy

Cathy, thanks for the giggle. Only 'cause you were okay... I've done the same thing under different circumstances.
I had a great day yesterday. Rode a little too much, I think. But it's been a while since I rode any length.
When I was diagnosed Feb/Mar 2011, I was not in a good frame of mind to ride. I know you have to concentrate and be more careful than when you drive. And my mind kept replaying all the crap that was going on. And I kept having mini anxiety attacks. So I didn't ride. Then I had the surgery to put in the pump. That put me out until at least June. My motorcycle, being as big as it is, looked really scary but in Aug. I tried riding it. After about 25 miles my back hurt pretty badly. Then in Sept. I tried again. I got about 45 miles broken up into 3 pieces. And my back hurt for 3 days. So I hung up my helmet. But I couldn't stay away. I finally found a light scooter that I can handle and doesn't scare me.
And, best news of all: it KEPT THE WORRY AWAY!!!! I was so busy riding and enjoying being on the scooter that I totally forgot to worry about having cancer. It was WONDERFUL!!!!!!! I'm not planning any marathon rides anytime soon, but I'm out there.

Glad to year you went back to the bike, too. Nothing better to clear the cobwebs. And I'm so glad you have a support system to ride with you. It makes all the difference!

Oh yeah, and my motorcycle club's motto is "we live to ride and we ride to eat!!" smile

KrisJ

Ha, ha, Kris - love that motto. The scooter looks "huge" to me, but then I am only 5'4".  Have fun.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER