1 (edited by PCL1029 Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:49:32)

Topic: Prediction of Tumor Responses thru Volumetric Functional MRI

Hi, everyone,
this  new kind of volumetric functional  MRI may discover tumor responses of treatment  much earlier and therefore may extend survival into years.
but I wonder who gave the low figure of  2,500 new cases/year  figure from our foundation to the study.
below is a partial description directly quoted from the article

“Our latest volumetric functional MRI scans could help people with aggressive cancers, and little time to spare on failed treatments, know as quickly as possible if their treatment is working and when they need to consider other treatment options. And without having to wait for months to actually see tumor shrinkage,” says study senior investigator and radiologist Ihab Kamel, M.D., Ph.D.

Results from the first of two studies to be published in the same July 1 issue of the journal Radiology show that the high-precision, 3-D images, taken shortly before and one month after a form of chemotherapy called transcatheter arterial chemoembolization, could assess the treatment’s impact against a rare and advanced form of liver bile duct cancer, known as cholangiocarcinoma.  The study involved 29 men and women aged 29 to 82, all undergoing treatment at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. "

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201206 … hrink.aspx

God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Re: Prediction of Tumor Responses thru Volumetric Functional MRI

Hi Percy,

Many thanks indeed for posting this piece, very interesting and I hope you won't mind me stealing your link and posting it over on the FB page!

You ask who from the foundation gave the figure of 2500 to the study. I don't know if anyone personally gave that figure to the study and I am sure that if anyone did then they will be along soon to say who if anyone did. But I read the full link that you posted and it doesn't say specifically that someone actually told them that figure and maybe it was quoted from the website here -

"Primary cholangiocarcinoma is a rare disease. It is estimated that more than 2,500 new cases are diagnosed each year in the United States. However, the incidence of cholangiocarcinoma is increasing, mostly due to rising rates of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma that occurs in the liver."

http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/definition.htm

Maybe I am wrong with this but just thought that might be where they got the figure from.

Take it easy,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

hi, Gavin,
I think your are right,i think they just look us up and put that figure up .
someone on our web site has to change that to 7,000 new cases per year to reflect what we have learn lately. I will try to come up the citation on that figure.But  it is way too low.
Ps. be sure to say hi to your mum for me;on 6/28 Chicago will be closed to 98-101 F to break the heat record for that day.
I don't know what's wrong in the States, but lately we have huge 20-30 inches of rain down pour in one single day,flooding all over the panhandle of Florida in the south;and we have large area of forest fire in Colorado springs in the west,burning hundreds of home. and I guess we are lucky just to have the heat and humidity problem.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Hi Percy,

Thanks for that. And as always I will be sure to say hi to my mum from you. I think that the weather is getting mucked up all over really and here, we are expecting another huge blast of rain in the coming days. They said tonight in our local paper that we can expect about a months rain in a few hours at some point in the coming days! Grrrr.....

I hope you will be keeping cool in these temps of yours! Lots of fluids Percy, and cold ones at that!!! 98-101F, wow! We could cook food in these temps over here!!!!

Take care and stay cool now!!!

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.