Topic: To chemo or not to chemo?
Yesterday, we received a very depressing news. My Mom had her CT scan done 3-months post- Y-90 treatment. Her disease has progressed or accdg to her Onco is worst...they were discussing about portal vein thrombosis.
My Mom was given 2 choices:
1. Another chemo treatment: Oxaliplatin and Xeloda for 6-9 weeks then CT scan
The Onco told us that there is about 1:4 chances that this combination will help shrink the tumor/PVT. He's not really positive about this because the Gem/Cis, the first chemo combination that she had taken, didn't help shrink the tumor. It actually got a little bigger.
My Mom feels and looks better now that she hasn't had chemo in over 8 months. Very minimal abdominal pain (on Oxycontin) and better appetite (on Megace).
My Mom agreed to try this chemo regimen and may start in 2 weeks (awaiting for insurance approval).
Just this evening, I was talking to the Onco over the phone, I asked about the prognosis. He told me that if my Mom doesn't respond to this (to which he's not optimistic), she only has 4-10 months to live.
With this, I'm beginning to have 2nd thoughts about this chemo. I know my Mom, though, she tolerated Gem/Cis with minimal side effects might not tolerate this new chemo regimen. I don't want her to be miserable...But, I want her to exhaust all medical/alternative options there are available before anything...
I am not prepared for this...
Please add my Mom, Linda, in your prayers.