Topic: Will be missing from board- SENSITIVE

Hi,

I haven't been on much lately, but unfortunately it's not because we're so lucky that Mom has had great success in fighting CC, but because my Dad is now at the end of his fight with Lung Cancer. He has been under home hospice care since it spread to his pancreas in Nov, but Mom can no longer physically take care of him as he becomes less mobile, and he does not want his children taking on caregiver roles that would hurt his dignity.  We are hoping he will get a space in a small in-care hospice center within the next few days.  Until then, we are working to get in-home support .  We were able to line up night time aids for the next 2 nights.  Just in past few days he has declined significantly. Nurse said she thinks a week or less, and he is ready now. 

In hind sight, we could have made better choices or spoken up at times with Hospice.  In the future, I will pass along what we've learned and how we could have improved his care.  However, for now I'll just ask for thoughts and prayers that the end will come soon and be peaceful and pain free.  I am amazed over the past months, and especially over the past 2 days, of the physical and emotional strength my mother has shown in taking care of him.  They have been married 57 years, and every day he tells her he will always love her.

Love and hugs,
Catherine

Not a medical Professional-  just someone who got caught up in this lousy disease.

Re: Will be missing from board- SENSITIVE

Dearest Catherine, I am so very sorry to read this about your Dad. I sincerely hope he has a more comfortable journey and wish him G-d speed as another angel in G-d's care.
Please take care of yourself as  as well and take your time as we will welcome you back with open arms when ever you are ready! Sending you much love and prayers.

THANK YOU FOR LOVING ME! Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Dear Catherine,

Lots of thoughts, love & prayers being sent your way.  I am so sorry things have gotten to this point and hope that your dad will be kept comfortable and pain free as he transitions for this life to the next.  Sending strength to you and your mom as you go through those trying days.  We are all here for you to help and support you in any way that we can.

Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Catherine.... my heart and thoughts are with you in this difficult and precious time.  We will miss you.

Hugs
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Catherine,

Sending positive thoughts to your dad, your mom and you at this difficult time.

Debbie

Sending strength and peace to you and your mother and your father.

Real sorry to hear this news about your Dad Catherine and a ton of positive thoughts and good wishes are coming your way from me. My Aunt died of her lung cancer on Sunday so I know what you are going through right now.

I hope that you will be able to get the in hospice care sorted out asap so that will take some of the pressure off of your mum. Thinking of you loads right now.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Catherine,
That is wonderful for your father to have his family with him.  You are an amazing support.  We look forward to your return.

Gavin, 

So sorry to hear of your aunt's passing.  Thinking of you, your mum & all of those who loved and cared for her. 

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Thanks Darla.

Hugs to you too,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Dearest Gavin, So sorry to read about your Aunt.  Was that your Mum's Sister or Dad's???

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Thanks Lainy. It was my mum's sister and they saw each other a couple of times over the last few weeks or so. I got your email and will reply to you later on.

Hugs,

Gavin

Hello all,

Thank you for the love, prayers and thoughts.  Dad was at home until a day before he died; we were able to move him to a wonderful hospice facility a mile from their home for the last 24 hours.  The room was the same color as their bedroom, but had the crown molding he wanted to install, and the hard wood floors that Mom wanted.  Not surprisingly, she was by his side hugging him and telling him if he didn't go soon, she was going to have to shave him again.  During their 57 years, the only nights they were not together was after her aborted CC surgery where I stayed with her for the 5 nights in the hospital.

Mom lost her soul mate, but they often discussed that she beat CC so she would be here to take care of him through the lung cancer.  Now we are dealing with paperwork (she lost supplemental insurance and pensions when Dad died) and trying to help her take it one day at a time.  I told the priest that the main thing Dad did was show us what true love is-  not that there wouldn't be fights or challenges during the 57 years and 4 kids-  but he once told me that he would give his life for his kids, but he chose my Mom. 

Dad spent is life helping others.  At one point, he volunteered helping taking homeless off the streets and bringing them to shelters.  He was a soldier during the Korean War and a police officer in NYC.  However, most importantly,  he was a husband, grandfather and a father.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignit … cale=en_US

https://s11.postimg.org/8ofsmbuf3/wedding.jpg

Not a medical Professional-  just someone who got caught up in this lousy disease.

Dearest Catherine, What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful Dad and I might add what a beautiful couple your parents made. I thank your Dad for his Service to our Country in many ways. A Gentleman and a good warrior. Thanks for this post and the picture and I hope you are doing well.

Catherine.....I'm so sorry.   Your parents had a great love and obviously respect for one another and they raised good children.   Julie

"Just for today, I can get through anything."  I'm a cancer survivor, not a doctor.  The opinions I state are my own, based on my personal experiences.    As always, talk to your doctor about your concerns and treatment.

Dear Catherine.,

You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of your dear father.  He sounds like a wonderful man and was greatly respected and loved by many.    Thank you for sharing his obituary and that lovely picture. They look so happy.  What a good looking couple.    Yes, I think your mother was meant to beat the CC to be able to help him through this.  I am so glad she was by his side and he was in familiar surroundings when he passed.  She too sounds like a very loving caring person.  Take care  of yourself and your mom now  and take time to heal.   One day at a time. 

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

Dear Catherine,

I am so very sorry indeed to hear of the passing of your Dad. Please accept my sincerest condolences. From what you say it sounds like your dad led a very fulfilling life and I know that he will be so very proud of you indeed. And that is a great photo as well. Please know that my thoughts are with you and your family right now.

Hugs,

Gavin

18 (edited by marions Thu, 16 Mar 2017 18:10:02)

Catherine..... What a wonderful Dad you had, it shows through in all the pictures.  Give a big hug to your Mom, I can only  imagine her heartache of loosing her husband of 57 years. 

My heart is with you and your wonderful family.

Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Catherine,

I am so sorry for your family's loss.  Your slideshow reflects so much love. May your memories of happy times comfort you in your grief.

Debbie