Topic: I know I've raised an intelligent child...........

My Mom asked her oncologist what the "general prognosis" for her cholangiocarcinoma was.  He told her he could not tell her how long she had to live, that only God knew that.  He did tell her the disease had a poor prognosis - maybe a year.

When I told my son (27 and in second year of law school)  he immediately responded to my email with the following......

"No point to think of timeframes as a front burner issue.  Keep it in the back of your head as an audit of how truly precious each day is and live each day to the max.  Let things fall as they may.  I don't think Grandmother wants a 8-12 month pity party.  Best thing to do is celebrate what was, and what is - Not spending your life looking forward to what will or might be."

Seems like an excellent recipe for life...........

Cherbourg

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Re: I know I've raised an intelligent child...........

Cherbourg,
You must be proud to be the mom of such an insightful son.
Karen

Wishing all God's blessings!

Cher -- I have read your son's words over and over, particularly the signature quote defining "prognosis."   Beautiful, philosophic, and exceptionally touching.  Thank you for sharing his words.  What a great support he is for you and your mom.
Diane

4 (edited by Asher47 Fri, 06 Feb 2009 21:32:37)

Wow, very beautiful. I've been reading your story Cherbourg. God Bless and may His strength continue to keep you strong!

I do have a question though...what is this "cold neuropathy" that you speak of? My father has cc with mets to the lungs. All because he had a cold with a terrible cough his GP sent him for a chest scan. Is this standard procedure because of the common cold or am I way off base?

Asher,

The cold neuropathy was a side effect of some types of chemo drugs.  In Mom's case the oxyliplatin.  You get a sensation (Mom described it as a "shock" when she touched something cold).   It usually only lasted a couple of days after receiving the chemo.  She was not happy about not  being able to have her daily milkshakes.  It can also make you think your airway is being shut off if you inhale cold air or drink something with ice in it.  It doesn't really happen it's just a sensation.  Sort of like when you eat ice cream too fast and get "brain freeze". 

Your Dad's doctor is being cautious with your dad's cough.  He will be able to r/o a pneumonia or fluid by doing the chest scan.  He sounds exactly like a doctor that I would want (and I'm in the medical field.)

I hope your Dad's cough gets better and know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs to you!

Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Oh okay, thank you Pam. I forgot I had asked you that question. Thank you for the explanation. Yes, my dad's GP is getting the ball rolling on a lot of things here! This is a good thing...

Blessings to you!

Ashlea