Re: Nurses Corner - Professional opinions
So i will add as a patient and practitioner... great referral to the palliative doctors if they are available but this is what was in my handbag for my personal treatments.
chemo with Emend (Aprepitant), Aloxi ( Palonosetron)( Dexamethasone, ===== ALL IV .. It is absorbed better this route that is per their packaging instructions for providers.
Emend and Aloxi are the anti nausea drugs
dexamethasone is a steroid
All of these are supposed to give a few days of support for the nausea.
Once worn off this is what is in my medicine bag for symptoms.
1) ZOFRAN-- who can live without this... I keep the ODT preparation... this is quick dissolving tablets.
2) Promethizine- an old but goody anti nausea medicine... but will make you sleepy... might be good after that steroid to help with insomnia.
3) Reglan- helps with digestion.... gets the system working if a bit slow and helps with nausea.
4) Ativan- if all else fails and I am not keeping anything down will work.. only had to use this when I was on oxaliplatin... did not agree with me.
5) And if all else fails i go to a cup of mint/ginger tea....
Not sure about anything else out there but I am sure there are tons other medications .. you just need to discuss with your doctor and make them think outside of the box for relief!