Topic: cyberknife and insurance coverage

I am finishing my second cycle of chemo and am scheduled for cyberknife in December and my insurance company(Blue Cross Blue Shield) has just denied me.  They claim that cyberknife if "experimental" and not covered by them.  Has anyone been through this with their insurance providers?  Has anyone been covered for cyberknife or won an appeal for it with their insurance providers?  i would appreciate any information anyone can give me.  Thanks.

Re: cyberknife and insurance coverage

P.S.  You have to have a PET Scan first as there can be no other "hot" spots than the one you are requesting.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

3 (edited by Karen Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:16:09)

The PET scan requirement must depend upon the individual BC/BS insurance company.  Rob did not have to have a PET scan.  I wish they had done one so we are aware if there are any other tumors to treat.

Wishing all God's blessings!

Teddy is with CIGNA and they said they would not approve the CK if there were any other hot spots. So we are extremely lucky in all ways on that one. I'm thinking lets get in and get this done before they change their minds!!! But we will have to wait until mid December as the doctor said the radiation is still cookin.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.