1 (edited by Frogspawn Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:37:40)

Topic: Update

Some of you will know about my family history and the incidence of cholangiocarcinoma (which killed my faather and eldest brother). Most family members hve colon cancer first and cholangiocarcinomac later on.

My other brother John was diagnosed with colon cancer on saturday after a colonoscopy. They are doing a ct scan this week to see if it has spread anywhere. He had his gall bladder out a year ago and i am hoping that they didn't miss anything back then... and that they haven't got his treatment hopelessly wrong...

Yours prayers and support are valued tremendously.

Frogspawn

Re: Update

Frogspawn,

I am so sorry to hear of your brother John's diagnosis.  I will keep you, your brother John & your family in my thoughts & prayers.

Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

I remember reading your story for the first time and wondering how one family could be asked to bear so much, your clan is in my prayers.

Patty

I too am so sorry to hear the news about your brother...your family has certainly been through so much.  Sending prayers and positive thoughts for good news about your brother.

Jean

I am so sorry, I just read your posts.  God must have a plan for family to have to endure so much pain and suffering. 
I have never heard of CC occuring to more than one family member, it didn't strike me as being heretidary, more like random.
My thoughts and prayers go out to your family, especially your brother at this time.
Barbara

The  Lord is my shephard

It is great to hear your positivive thoughts. I will pass them on to my bro and his wife. Case conference should be this week...apparently they hope to do a hemicolectomy before Christmas.

Thanks again.

F

Although, it has been your experience in your family for colon cancer being followed by CC it is time for your brother to be the exception.  Sending tons of good wishes your way.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I am very sorry for your brother. And I agree with Marion, it is time for the exception and that is what we need to hold onto.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

Our brother (mine and speckledhens, that is) has got a date with his consultant on monday about his op... your prayers and positive thoughts are always appreciated! He had his scan this week and no spread outside of the colon which is good... so hopefully no cholangio carcinoma for him!

Not sure if they are gonna operate before or after Christmas...but find out Monday hopefully.

Frogspawn

Frogspawn....this is wonderful news.  And, you can count on good wishes and positive thoughts for your brother.  Crossing my fingers for a good consultation with the doctor.  Hoping to hear from you, soon.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Brother has had  a sub total colectomy and is now recovering at home. They don't think it has spread intothe lymphatic system. The surgeons don't want him to haave any chemo but the final decision will be made with the oncologist.

Thanks again for your positive thoughts and prayers.

Frogspawn....This is excellent news.  I am hoping for your brother to recover real soon.  Please, keep us posted. 
Good wishes coming your way,
Marion

Such wonderful news Frogspan. I hope your brother gets on the mend.

Kris

Hello, I`m Frogspawns sister.
Our brother was re-admitted to hospital last Friday. He was suffering from persistant vomitting, lower abdominal and back pain, jaundice. Blood tests xrays and ct scan have been done. They say they think he has a blood clot in the portal vein.

YES I can hear you all falling about laughing. That sort of incredulous insane type of laughter. The type of noise you make when you are expected to believe some unutterable crap!

So the cure.......warfarin........! Hooray we`ve found the ultimate cure for problem patients with complicated medical histories....and now I think....a little game of golf is in order....

Please pass on my good thoughts to your brother....and if you can find another cure pass it on to me. smile Sometimes all you can do is smile at the absurdity and stress of it all.

I hope your brother comes home soon.

Kris

thanks DC

My bro has now got "blood clots" around one of his kidneys. They are still convinced that these are what they are. Problem is his pacemaker stops him from having an mri scan which i gether is the best non invasive diagnostic tool.

Next he is having an endoscopy.

Dear Frogspawn, sending prayers and good thoughts to you, your brother John and your family. 

-Tess

Oh..endoscopy. I think that is one of the worst things I have ever had done, and I have had 5 or 6 of them. The first time, I actually hit my doctor because I was in so much pain...but if it helps with diagnostic decions, it is certainly worth it. Please pass on my thoughts to your brother and I hope they figure out what is going on. Have they given an ultrasound to check for clots?

Kris

I really haven't had any problems with endoscopies - they knock me out each time when they do them, so the only side effect is a slight sore throat for a day or two.

They have done ultrasounds and they have helped but i gather they are not very clesr..

thanks for your thoughts.

Apparently the endoscopy is a gastroscopy and it is to look at his pancreas... he is being treated with warfarin for the clots.

pacreas has a 2 cm 'thin walled cyst' on it... we will wait and see what that means.