Topic: Funniest Christmas memory....

We had our own Chevy Chase, Christmas vacation moment a few years ago. We have an old farmhouse( circa 1883) with 10 foot ceilings so I have a bad habit of getting "oversized" trees. One year I picked out one that was actually the top of a blue spruce that I chose from a distance. The old fellows at the tree farm went ahead and cut it off and wrapped it for us and we picked it up a few days later not really seeing it up close. We hauled it into our living room with the help of our daughter and teenage son, got it into the big iron kettle we had to use as a base and my husband cut the netting. The thing exploded out of its confines and started going sideways just about taking out our ceiling lamp, everyone was shreiking and yelling and running for cover. Somehow we managed to get it into position and wire it the wall behind so it wouldn't fall. It was a beautiful tree but I had to promise to never get such a big tree or I wouldn't get any help putting it up. A week ago we had another first in 29 years! WE got a "beautiful" tree this year. Still pretty big but absolutely perfect in every way. We put it up and had it all decorated by the7th of Dec which was a record for us. We had a Lloyd family party on the 13 th so the night before I was laying on the couch admiring my "beautiful" tree and watching a movie when I fell asleep. I was awakened by a huge "crashing" sound and here my "beautiful" tree was laying on it's side a complete "mess". I tried to right it without waking Tom up and after 3 tries got it to stand up and then proceeded to spend the next 3 hours untangling beads and lights and ornaments. The next morning before the party we had to start from scratch and completely redecorate our somewhat broken up tree. I had to crawl around on my hands and knees to try and vacuum up the millions of tiny needles stuck in our carpet( it is a norweigian spruce, the kind of tree you don't even want to bump once it's up let alone drop on the floor three times)! Our whole family loves to watch National Lampoons Christmas vacation movie. It will always remind them of our "fun" times!!

Re: Funniest Christmas memory....

Thanks marylloyd....I have always wanted a huge tree and had to "make do" with 8 feet but after reading your story I am considering going smaller, yet.   I can relate to your tree falling over.  It happened to us.  We had adopted a not so small puppy.  She was washed, smelled more human than doggy-like, had a bow, the tree was decorated and shining bright.  I was way ahead of the game, the presents were wrapped, the dinner table was set, the food was almost ready, the kids were clean but, there was one thing I needed to pick up from the store.  You can imagine the rest.  This doggy had never seen a tree and neither had we seen one like the one we came back to.  I picked up needles for months thereafter.  We lived with this wonderful dog for many years to come but, I don't think I really ever forgave her for this particular surprise.
Have a happy Season
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER