Topic: Cholangio Surgeons San Francisco

Hi, My mother was just dx with Cholangiocarcinoma. She has an appt with an oncologist and surgeon  in San Franncisco this week. Has anyone been to a UCSF surgeon??? She was referred to another facility/Doctors but I am thinking of taking her to UCSF for a 2nd opinion...Any comments on UCSF???

Re: Cholangio Surgeons San Francisco

Talex - UCSF is a great place to go for a second opinion.  Dr. Venook is one of the highest regarded oncologists in this field.  I am not as familiar with the surgeons, but I believe Marion will be able to help with recommendations.  She is very familiar with the UCSF system. 

Good luck - I wish your mom did not have this cancer, but we are happy that you found us.

30-something caregiver

Talex....I am sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnoses but would like to welcome you to our site.  I would, as Sara had mentioned, make an appointment with Dr. Venook at UCSF.  This meeting will inform you about possible treatment protocols available to your Mom which may include, resection, chemotherapy and/or radiation or, possibly, a clinical trial currently open to bile duct cancer patients.  Due to the amount of information coming your way it might be helpful for you to take notes and/or tape the conversation.  And, please stay in touch.
Sending tons of good wishes your way,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Talex...I also would like to inform you about a clinical trial for Cyberknife radiation at UCSF.  You might want to contact Dr. Kim Huang at khuang@radonc.usf.edu for further information.  Good Luck.
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

My mother had all of her care at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco. (We live in Napa, CA).  Her surgeon was Dr. Hasoun.  I can't express the gratitude I have for that facility and their staff.  My mother is currently in the final stages of her cancer and will start Hospice today, but I feel they did everything possible to fix this monster of a disease.  If you need more information feel free to ask.