Topic: PSC

I know someone here will know the answer. Is PSC (primary sclerosing cholangitis), actually considered  CC. From what I read it appears that PSC can cause cancer but not that CC  is PSC.  I am having thoughts to contact the Walter Peyton Foundation but not sure he really had CC.  Thanks

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: PSC

Hi lainy and Mr. T,  Here is a link for wikipedia providing infor on on PSC.  The Walton peyton Foundation will probally be more helpful I imagine.  The actual pathology reports, I would think could differentiate the difference, but maybe not.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/primary_sc … holangitis  . 
Bless Ya Guys!
Jeff

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

Hi Jeff!  I cannot begin to tell you how I light up every time I see you post!!! I think I will begin to think of things to lure you to the site! Sending our love and prayers to you and your family.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy....Primary sceloring chlangitis: chronic inflammation of the bile ducts may increase the risk of developing Cholangiocarcinoma/bile duct cancer.  In fact, we have seen, on this board, quite a few CC patients with a history of PCS followed by the development of CC.  In my opinion, everyone with PCS should be aware of this. 
As listed in our brochure:
Chronic ulceratative colitis:  chronic inflammation of the bowel
Choledochal cysts: sac-like structes forming off the bile ducts
also are known to be risk factors.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I suffered from ulcerative colitis for 8 years before developing PSC and then CC, so in my case there was definitely a link between all these factors.

On the Walter Payton question, here is a link to a local news article that states he did indeed have bile duct cancer:

http://www.dailyherald.com/special/payton/payton5.htm

It is my understanding that ulcers, colitis, etc. are stress related so I think we can also say that stress is a risk factor. I went to see a gastroenterologist a few weeks ago to be proactive and I told her that for as long as I can remember, stress has always gone right to my stomach. She has ordered some tests. I think it would be interesting for someone to do a long term study of relatives of cc patients.

Patty

Hello Everyone,
   Butch had ulcerative colitus, which led to PSC (primary sclerosing cholangitis) , which they think led to CC - 3 diferent things, as the other posts said The diagnosis in the medical records of Sayre Packer, Mayo, and Pittsburgh all list all 3 - part of the reason that the Veterans approved the application for survivor benefits last week - there is a known link between the 3. We knew, from the time he was diagnosed with the PSC - about 7 yearts ago - that he was in trouble, but the Doctor at Sayre Packer ASSURED us that cancer was not a problem - can you imagine - he was sure wrong!

Joyce C.