Topic: Scottish invasion

Ladies and gents,

I am beginning to think that a person needs to spend some time in Scotland to be a properly formed and well-rounded human being! There are quite a few on here from Scotland or who have spent time there, maybe we should start flying the Saltire in solidarity!

Here is a link for Marion (notice the topics Whisky and The Kilt on the left):

http://www.visitscotland.com/guide/scot … ns/saltire

We have Highland Games here Chicago in summer and I think I really must make it this year and see what these Scottish are all about!

http://www.chicago-scots.org/22nd-annua … games.html

Patty

Re: Scottish invasion

Thanks Patty.   Our Ron is from Scotland....hey Ron, what do you think?  Ron had given us a link to the background of kilts some time back.  It is fun learning all about your home country, Ron.  Kris, something Swedish to add?  In fact, it would be nice to receive some links from our other members and their home countries. And, while we are add it, how about some more information and links from anyone and their home state and city, or something particular about where they live or what they do, etc?  It would be fun.

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I spent 6+ years in Scotland and I LOVE it. Everyone should go once..perhaps twice. It is always beautiful..even in the cold, dark months of winter.

Sweden is also a good choince, but only come in the spring and summer when the wildflowers take over the place. In a couple of months all the lilac trees will be in bloom, plus the lilly of the valley. IT is a smorgasboard for the nose.

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

4 (edited by tiapatty Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:08:51)

Hmmm...in Chicago it is potholes that bloom in spring. But it really is a lovely city, today was glorious weather.

Patty

What makes Scotland a special country?

Well, the obvious things are the people, the scenery, the history and the number of nations throughout the world whose own history has been shaped by Scots.

The Scots are, by and large, a friendly and welcoming people.  We are very proud of our small country and love to show and tell others about it.

The geography is such that within a few hours you can be in major industrial and commercial centres such as Glasgow and Edinburgh, then on to the rolling green valleys of Perthshire or the tranquil beauty of the Trossachs, finishing in the splendid majesty of lochs and mountains of the Highlands.  Short boat trips take you to sparsely populated areas like the Western Isles, the Hebrides, Skye etc.

Scotland is an ancient nation that has had a turbulent past, but has never been forcefully occupied.  Everywhere one looks you can see evidence of the history, be it castles or monuments, universities or crofts.

There is probably no country in the world that cannot point to a large percentage of its population who have Scottish roots.  Scots have always been enthusiastic travellers who prefer to embrace their new home rather than try to change it to suit their own roots.  Saying that, there are very few large towns or cities anywhere that cannot boast a Caledonia Club, a St Andrews Association or a Burns Society.  It helped, of course, that the world's most popular drink is distilled in Scotland.  It is often said that a Scotsman will drink with anyone and frankly that attitude has helped oil the wheels of progress.

My own personal view as to why Scotland is a popular country is the inherent romance of the place.  As I have already said, history is everywhere and it is very difficult not to become caught up in this romantic history.  See how popular Braveheart was: not very accurate but very romantic and stirring!

2009 is Homecoming Year which is designed to welcome visitors to Scotland, particularly those who want to discover their Scottish roots.  This is a link that will give you some of the background.  The Advert is, in my opinion, well worth watching and listening too.  I will not pretend that all of the contributors have even passable singing voices but I think it does display the pride and romance.  The 60 second version is the better and for you ladies, the worst thing that can happen is that you get to hear Sean Connery in full voice!

http://www.homecomingscotland.com/default.html

Ron

I am a proud Scotsman and although I have spent most of life living in England I always get up to Soctland as often as possible. I know this sounds like a cliche but we seem to be more proud of Scotland as other nations. This may be because we are a small country and feel we need to show our love for our lands.

I am always proud when I have travelled to support various Scotland sporting teams ie football and rugby. The Scots never cause any trouble (with a couple of execptions, notably Wembley and Manchester), get on with their hosts and leave a good impression behind.

One of my personal experiences was in Bordeaux for the football World Cup in 1998. I travelled to watch Scotland v Norway. In the hotel where we stayed there was a mix of Scots and Norwegians and the night before we spent the evening in the bar together having a few drinks, playing pool and table football, getting to know our new friends. The next day whilst travelling to the ground I remember seeing a huge Scotland banner being walked along the main street with thousands of Scots behind it picking people up along the way. There was a party atmosphere in the ground, fans were not segregated and there was a lot of good natured banter during the game, which finished 1-1. I can say it is probably the best game I have been to due to the atmosphere and the time I spent with new friends.

I agree with everything Ron says, Scotland is a beautiful, historical country and I could type for hours why this is the case, but I shan't bore you any further! If anyone is considering a trip to Scotland then go for it, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Tom

Patty, Ron and Tom.....a trip to Scotland is very enticing. Thanks for the great links. Being European by birth I have found a new appreciation for my neighboring countries.  Have either of you thought of working with the tourism bureau? Your enthusiasm and devotion shines through.  Who would not want to see Scotland following such great presentations

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I agree with Marion. You all make it so enticing it makes me want to come & visit.  Thanks for the links. It sounds like a wonderful place to live & visit and so beautiful, too.

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.