Topic: My husband Dave's Journey @ Caring Bridge

Hello to all, I just started blogging on here recently, and I love all the support!!!  I created this site for Dave, I wanted to share it with you.  Please pray for our family.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/davesjourney

I lost my incredible husband Dave to CC February 13th, 2011 after a 2 year battle.  He leaves behind a legacy that will never be forgotten..I will miss you forever.

Re: My husband Dave's Journey @ Caring Bridge

Wow!  Are you ever a beautiful "US"!  I loved it. Your attitudes are really great and I know it seems as if this road has no end in sight but just when you think it won't end Dave will again be home.  The liver part is good news and the rest will follow. We sure do learn patience with this don't we?

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy, You are tooo sweet!!!  Thanks a bunch!!! Sooo encouraging!!  I am so thankful that I found this site!  We learn patience, and we learn to hold on tight, because at times the ride gets very rough!!!

I lost my incredible husband Dave to CC February 13th, 2011 after a 2 year battle.  He leaves behind a legacy that will never be forgotten..I will miss you forever.

Absolutely Ladybug, you are in our prayers! Your photostory is just beautiful at the CaringBridge site, it brought tears to my eyes to read your husband's words "I want us back". I think this is a very common thread that binds us, we want the old world of pre-diagnosis, back again.  We want to go back to a time when life wasn't consumed by doc visits, blockages, BM issues, drugs, & blood labs.  Those moments certainly surface, and then as Dave says... "ok, that's all...", and we realize again that there is beauty to be found in the day- even amongst the fear & the 'rough rides'.

Sending hugs to you,
Tess

Tess,

Thanks for pointing that out to me.  It is awesome to hear your version of "I want us back".  That is so touching.  It breaks my heart.  You are very wise, and you are blessed with a gift to sooth those that are struggling to understand this horrible cancer, and the roller coaster ride that comes with it.  Thanks for posting.  Means more than you know.

My sister only survived 9 months after being diagnosed.  I can't remember how many times I thought or said "I want to go back to the day before we ever knew that Shirley had cancer."  Or even thought of cancer.  I swear we never ever ever thought of cancer before Shirley got cancer.  That seems so sad.  Now, that's all I ever think about. 

I just read your blog Ladybug.  It was awesome.  I did a blog for my Shirley and it was the hardest thing I have ever done.  So I certainly can feel your pain.  I am so sorry your family has to go through this journey.  But know that you are not alone.  We can feel your pain.  God Bless you and your family.  I will be praying for you.

7 (edited by ladybug02142004 Wed, 29 Apr 2009 07:23:21)

Tanoland,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sister.  How tough that must have been for you.  I know some days I find myself thinking that this is all a dream, and I am going to wake up crying, and hear Dave say "It's ok honey, it is just a dream."  Then reality hits, and you realize that it is so very real.  I, like you have not thought about cancer, but now, all I find myself doing is consuming myself with it.  Researching & googleing it. 

Thanks for the comments about my blog...It helps me to vent, share, and express what we are dealing with.  Means a lot.

Thanks for your prayers, you are a special person.

Ladybug,
Wow, what a wild ride you both have had. You are a beautiful couple with a wonderful family and support network.

Keep up the positive energy smile

danielle

Daniellemarg,

Hello there!

Thanks so much for the compliments!!  We are holding on!!!  Just have to take it a day at a time.   Family, friends, and support is EVERYTHING! 

smile

Hey there all.....Dave and I went to the Doc yesterday, and he gave us the "talk".  Dave is very down right now....anyone have any tips as to what I can say to be encouraging??  Please see my post.....

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Ladybug and Davie Bug!!!  I just read your Caring Bridge and want to say that Teddy and I have adopted an attitude of being Realistically Optimistic. We all know from reading and reading what this CC is. What we have all learned is that we know nothing. Can't put on any time limits, can't say something is not going to work, but we do know it returns. That is why we have to be so watchful. Perhaps with the extra 2 weeks the wound will heal and nothing else will have occurred and the chemo can be talked about. It is a painfully, long, slow process. When you first hear all this "stuff" from the doctors it is a whole lot to absorb. Funny thing is, you will absorb it and move on. Not sure about the doctor's statistics like, more women. We have had quite a few Korean and Nam Vets who have had it. I have also noticed more and more younger people.
Again, your attitudes are good and that with lots of prayers seems to work.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Ladybug,

I just finished reading your blog and it was wonderful! 

I lost my Mom to CC on April 3, 2009.  I'm in the medical field and diagnosed her.  She had Stage IV disease with mets to the lungs when diagnosed.  She was still working fulltime at 76 when she was diagnosed.  Her only options were chemo.  She fought a great fight and was able to dance at her granddaughter's wedding and see the birth of her second great grandchild. 

I wanted to share something that my son said when he was told about my Mom's prognosis.  I use his words as my signature line.  I think (with a Mother's pride that it is pretty profound) and is a great way for everyone to live their lives.  (See below)

Your journey won't be an easy one but I can promise you that God will hold you and your family close and you will find strengths and a depth of love and joys you would not ever know if not for this terrible disease.  It will change you but you will be better for the journey.

You have everything you need to fight this disease.  There is so much love in your family and I know that you will all depend on each other and friends.  God will provide the rest. 

I think I'm also a little partial to your hubby.  He shares the same birthday as my dear husband of 25 years!

Keep the faith and fight on.  Miracles DO HAPPEN EACH AND EVERY DAY!

Much love!

Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

Hi Ladybug, I've heard it said on this board before that prayer is a powerful transfer of positive energy... know that there is lots of that coming your way!  Encouragement comes in so many ways, you know better than anyone how to give that to Dave, listen to him and your heart, & it will come. 

When my Dad was sick with cc, the greatest thing we could do was be there to listen if he wanted to talk, keep conversations within his comfort zone, and make the kind of dialy small talk that we were all accustomed to.  Dad liked that. 

Keep the faith, keep the love and know that you're not alone.  And thanks for sharing your story on the blog. Dave is certainly in our thoughts!

Sending you many hugs,

Tess

Ladybug,
  Reading about your drive home on the 15th brings back so many memories. First the drive home from the hosptal those first days ( 2 1/2 hours) and not even remembering most of it. How surreal everything was. We , just like you and everyone else on here just wanted to have our  "lives" back. We had at least 4 or 5 different Drs. say that my husband would most likely not make it more than a year to 18 months and they all say it will still be back. He had a failed resection attempt but had fantastic results with chemo and extensive radiation. He has been cancer "free" since his final treatments in Nov. of 2006. Now his tumor markers are rising and I find myself panicking to think that it may really come back. We all want our loved ones to be that miracle patient that lives a long, healthy life next to our side because thats the way it's supposed to be. Why us? My parents and his parents lived long lives and both celebrated over 50 years of marriage. That's all I want. Unfortunately we were dealt a bad hand and as your husband says , "it is what it is." You just need to continue to be strong and positive.  It's a gut wrenching task to sit by and watch the person you love so much go through this and to worry what is going to happen next. We all understand and our prayers are with you. I still believe miracles can happen!!  Mary

15 (edited by ladybug02142004 Sun, 17 May 2009 08:10:51)

Lainey,Cherbourg,Tess, and Marylloyd....

What incredible people you are.  Your words to me were just like someone putting their arms around me, and giving me a great big hug!  Cherbourg, what an awesome quote, and what incredible memories you have of your mom.  You all are so strong, and your voices of hope.  Thank you....from the bottom of my heart!

Love to you all!!